I love cycling in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Winter riding

I'm retired so don't have to go out on my bike in the mornings to go to work. But I go out anyway, and much prefer to get out on frosty days than be stuck in because of the wet.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Had an interesting commute, today. -11 C. this morning, with the leftover 6" of snow that we got on Sunday morning. About half of my ride is on cycle path. The cycle paths here NEVER get cleared. I was hoping that there had been enough foot traffic on it yesterday to pack it down, but when I reached the path (2 miles into my commute), I found that was not the case. The path was unrideable...like trying to ride in sand. Had to take to the road for the rest of the ride. Coming home, the traffic on the road was too heavy to safely ride on a bike, so I took the path. Took me 50 minutes for a 5 mile commute! We'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully, the temp will be warm enough for a thaw, tomorrow.

Joe

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
threefingerjoe said:
Had an interesting commute, today. -11 C. this morning, with the leftover 6" of snow that we got on Sunday morning. About half of my ride is on cycle path. The cycle paths here NEVER get cleared. I was hoping that there had been enough foot traffic on it yesterday to pack it down, but when I reached the path (2 miles into my commute), I found that was not the case. The path was unrideable...like trying to ride in sand. Had to take to the road for the rest of the ride. Coming home, the traffic on the road was too heavy to safely ride on a bike, so I took the path. Took me 50 minutes for a 5 mile commute! We'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully, the temp will be warm enough for a thaw, tomorrow.

Joe

If I was faced with that, I think I would have gotten out the tele skis for a blast:tongue:, trouble is they usually clear too much of the snow and you end up having to walk too much.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
My bike is a hybrid...Trek 7500FX, set up for commuting. Lights, mudguards, rack, etc. Couldn't tell WHAT is was when I got off that path, though! Looked like it had been covered by a snowplow! So much snow packed on the wheels and spokes that it looked like it had wagon wheels! And the ride was kinda like mountain biking....slow and bumpy. I put studded tyres on it when it gets icy. Usually I run slicks. Found a good alternative route, today. Last of the snow SHOULD be melted off, tomorrow.

Joe

Tetedelacourse

HLaB said:
We got -6 deg C but no snow. I quite liked it when I left the flat, I just left, others had to scrape their car.

HLaB - cracking morning this morning I thought. The FRB was brilliant but surreal. A bank of fog at the North side meant you couldn't see more than about 30 yards in front of you, but when I came through it about 1/3rd of the way across, the river was pretty clear. Coooooooool! But cool.

gbb

Legendary Member
''I love cycling in winter ''

I'll say just one word....CHILLBLAINS :blush:

I like and loathe winter riding.
It isnt cold yet...so right now is pretty good...crisp clear mornings.

But riding 25 miles across open country, sub zero wind hitting your achingly cold forehead, numb toes, even with overshoes...;)

And the chillblains...i suffer from them every winter....intensly painful

longers

Legendary Member
I love cycling in winter because water tastes so very REFRESHING from your water bottle :biggrin:.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It's been lovely, crisp and frosty this week, but I'm off on holiday so I don't have to get up at 5.30 for my morning commute. It's a mixed blessing, really - I miss being out on the bike.

I was hoping the last of the replacement parts would get back to the depot today for collection (they tried delivering last Friday, and as of yesterday morning the package still hadn't come back in :becool: ) so I could finish fixing the bike and take it out for a long spin to test that all was well.

Tomorrow, hopefully. They were supposed to phone me today (and didn't) and I spent the afternoon repeatedly ringing them and they didn't pick up the phone. What's the point of asking you to call and check if they don't answer ?

Now I know why there's always a phone ringing in the background when I'm standing in the queue at the local Royal Mail depot....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Wolf04 said:
To be fair they are a tad busy at this time of year!
Pete :biggrin:
Yep, they're rushed off their feet - but since they put the number on the back of the cards AND tell you when you've been in on a failed collection attempt to call before coming in again, it's a bit cheeky to ignore the phone all day.

I'm not that fussed as I'm young and able to get around, but I feel sorry for someone who's not that able to get to the depot and is trying to phone to arrange a re-delivery. The parcel would likely have been returned to the sender before anyone picked up the phone.....

If you can't provide a service, then don't offer it. When I worked in Customer Services for a large pensions provider, I'd have been for the high jump if I didn't pick up a phone within three rings, regardless of how busy I otherwise was.

I tried again today and the parcel was in. So much for the woman making a big show of taking my number and saying she'd call me when it arrived. Over-promising and under-delivering (no pun intended) really gets my goat :thumbsup:

And now I really have to cheer up and stop being such a grump.... I think it's cycling withdrawal symptoms :biggrin:

Top Bottom