I`m done with rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Gore shakedry kit. It keeps you dry and dries in minutes. Ortleib back pack is fully waterproof. I ride every day.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm starting to hate it too. Long range forecast. We have one dry day out of the next fortnight! :sad:
1570263694313.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've been moaning about the wet climate for years on here, and was generally poo-pooed and told to man up; usually by the members from the drier south eastern parts of the UK who "don't mind the rain". There's a huge difference between the odd shower on a commute, and persistent rain day after day, week after week. I don't think they have a clue about just how much it can wear down your cycling mojo - and as for encouraging non cyclists to take it up, forget it! Regular cycling around here will only ever be a sport (or transport) for the hard-core few. It's not just the cyclist; as pointed out by the OP it also trashes your bike components much quicker.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This is the 21st century, not the middle ages. Cars have been invented to make travelling more comfortable, amongst other things. You stay dry and you stay warm in winter. Cycle when the weather allows.

pawl

Legendary Member
I am old enough to remember that50 years ago rain never stopped me cycling.The old fashioned cape kept me dry.

I no longer go out if it’s raining.Always had a cape strapped to myCarradice saddle bag back then.Perhaps we are now to obsessed with being aero.

How do you make that out?. We've hardly had a single day in the last two weeks when it hasn't rained to some degree or other. Some of the days have been utter filth, and it has pissed it down for hours on end.
I only had a 30 minute commute, and used to go in early. Something I first noticed nearly 40 years when cycling to school, and still seems to be the case - rain often starts around 8-9 am.

Then when they grit the roads, salt water :sad:. Disk brake pad retaining bolt seized on both callipers in one winter
Same with me. I now grease the retaining bolts as it is a pain to get them out when they are siezed solid, even with a cnc milling machine available to me.

Gore shakedry kit. It keeps you dry and dries in minutes. Ortleib back pack is fully waterproof. I ride every day.
Best bit of kit I have bought for cycling in years.

This is the 21st century, not the middle ages. Cars have been invented to make travelling more comfortable, amongst other things. You stay dry and you stay warm in winter. Cycle when the weather allows.
And that is one of the reasons why the climate is getting wetter.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
We have one dry day out of the next fortnight! :sad:

If you want a more realistic short-term idea; i.e. whether it is safe to go out for the next couple of hours, try using the rainfall radar facility on the Netweather.tv website. It's time delayed by only about 10 minutes and updates itself every 5. If you stick the postcode you are at in the box, it shows your location and you can watch incoming rain clouds long before they get to you. I use it and it saved me a soaking coming home from the pub the other night. It was dry when I went out but I could see rain coming in from the West. By chucking out time in the pub, it was chucking it down in the street, but I had taken my raincoat with me because it looked dodgy. A few people I was drinking with came out coat-less and they went home wet!

jay clock

Massive member
When I first started cycling to work I had a spreadsheet of temps, weather, clothing, times etc. I got rained on 6 times in a full year of cycle commuting. Maybe you need to move to a less wet area of the U.K?
I have been commuting Clapham to Chiswick across south London for 3 days a week for the past month. My colleagues all said how wet I must get, but I reckoned when I was doing full time commuting I got soaked 1 day a month. I only really worry about going in to work because of the clothes carrying/drying/ etc was more of a faff.

So far I had one drenching in about a dozen days....

Drago

Legendary Member
And the more you drive, the more it increases rainfall at our latitude, and the more it rains. So the more you drive...

Top Bottom