I mastered the weather!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did it. I really did it!

I had to be 15 miles away at lunchtime and I rode, as usual. I took a 72" singlespeed, although it's quite a hilly route.

Well... on the way there, there was a gale-like headwind and my average speed for the run was 16.9mph.

16.9mph.... 16.9 Empee Effing Aitch. Very distressing. Almost heartbreaking. It's usually around 18mph on that bike.

Did I let that discourage me? Did I fold before the weather? Did I cry into my gilet?

No. No siree Bob! On the contrary and quite the reverse. Despite the obvious fact that the headwind would be just as severe on the homeward leg, I threw everything at it and managed 19.7mph on my way back. Yes!!! 19.7, which is nearly 25 if you round it up and read it very quickly.

You may try to persuade me that I didn't (technically) face a headwind on the way home... You may even try to persuade me that it was in fact a very generous and helpful tailwind. But you weren't there, man. It was a headwind and I TOTALLY destroyed it.

Final score: Me 1 - The Weather 0.

In my head, I am dancing. Which is not pretty.

Has anyone else fought the weather a won?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
No. I had a very short 1 and a half mile ride during which I never got up enough steam to even warm up so I just sat there, going really slowly relying on my layers and layers of clothes to keep me warm (ish). The weather totally kicked my bottom.

400bhp

Guru
You won the battle Boris, but not the war.

Top Bottom