I May Be Taking The Plunge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
http://www.quellabicycle.com/varsity-cambridge
I might be able to get the above bike new for under £300 if I play my cards right. So I may well soon be riding a fixie!

pretty, but perhaps brakes might be a good addition (stated in words, but not pictures). Personally I'd want mudguards and pannier rack too.
A fixie is great by the way, and I speak as a middle aged, not that fit chap living in a hilly city

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
There are definitely brakes. I don't actually use mudguards or panniers for my commute so won't miss those.

My plan is thus:
  • Hybrid, currently with winter tyres, for commute until weather improves.
  • Road bike for weekend rides if weather is good and commute when weather improves.
  • Fixie for fitness and fun and getting around town, short weekend rides and eventually some commuting.
I'm not that fit either but I can do most of my commute in one gear similar in ratio to a typical fixie's.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm glad you thought it was a nice bike but I'm very sorry it got nicked. Having had a motorbike stolen I know that it's not a nice feeling. :sad:

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I will definitely supply updates! lol

I'm still debating whether to go ahead though. The bike on offer is 54cm. I'm around 5'9". According to Quella I should be on a 58cm frame. The stand over height is 30" for 54cm and 33" for 58cm. My inside leg is around 30" so 54cm should be better. I'll be able to sit on the bike either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning so I'll know what's what then.

potsy

Rambler
Two things that would put me off that bike

1 The fact they only offer it in 2 sizes , which is supposed to accommodate everybody from 5' 2" to 6' 2"

2 The 1 year frame/fork warranty, doesn't sound like they are too confident in their own product.

Apart from that it looks quite good :thumbsup:

I will definitely supply updates! lol

I'm still debating whether to go ahead though. The bike on offer is 54cm. I'm around 5'9". According to Quella I should be on a 58cm frame. The stand over height is 30" for 54cm and 33" for 58cm. My inside leg is around 30" so 54cm should be better. I'll be able to sit on the bike either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning so I'll know what's what then.
I'm about 6'1" and I had the 58 cm frame. I think the varsity frame is a bit more chunky than the One's frame, so 54 will probably be about right for you.

Two things that would put me off that bike

1 The fact they only offer it in 2 sizes , which is supposed to accommodate everybody from 5' 2" to 6' 2"

2 The 1 year frame/fork warranty, doesn't sound like they are too confident in their own product.

Apart from that it looks quite good :thumbsup:
The 1 year frame / fork warranty is more to cover their backs, owing to the type of environments / riding their bikes tend to find themselves subjected to. I was very impressed with the fit / finish workmanship and quality of parts used on the bike I had from them.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm about 6'1" and I had the 58 cm frame. I think the varsity frame is a bit more chunky than the One's frame, so 54 will probably be about right for you.
Thanks for that. That was more or less my feeling. If I think it's too small after sitting on it though I can just say no.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The bike in the picture couldn't be legally ridden on a public road in the UK, UK law requires two brakes, the fixed wheel would count as one brake meaning you would have to have a front brake at least, personally I would want a front and a bake brake.
Personally I'm looking at one of these http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-Flyer-2015-Road-Bike_72809.htm?gclid=CMDAnOXny8MCFZMZtAodRVYAxw
as a replacement for my Pearson.
The bike does actually come with 2 brakes, as mentioned in the specification. :smile:

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
If thats the case the bike should be shown with brakes fitted.
Serious question, is there a rule or law that states that? I genuinely don't know. Every other website that sells these bikes shows them with brakes and my LBS has them with brakes fitted so they definitely come with brakes. If Quella's website is breaking a rule then they should be told so they can rectify it.

Top Bottom