I met someone with no relatives today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The ex senior partner of the first firm I worked for had no family and after his wife died he employed a cleaner to help keep the house tidy. That cleaner must have seen an opportunity and over the years must've persuaded him to write a new will. You can guess the rest.... I imagine that happens a lot.

That's what the Amazon film, "I Care A Lot" was about- truly awful exploitation, but then if no-one else takes care of elderly people, living alone, when they are alive and in need of support, who are we to judge?

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
I don’t have anyone now either apart from an estranged brother and his family, which reminds me I really must get a will made. I’ll get the lawyer to be the executor and whatever is left of my estate can get split between a few favourite charities.

If no Will, then it all goes to your nearest living relative, which in your case would be your brother.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Theres lots of people with no family left, its not that unusual.

Hmmm, not so sure about this. I have never come across anyone at all in her particular situation. There is usually an aunt/uncle/cousin/2nd cousin kicking around, but she really has no-one at all. Don't get me wrong, she struck me as a very well rounded and calm individual who was an absolute delight to be in a meeting with and clearly very content with her life.

In fact it did get me wondering a bit if actually the key to being balanced and happy is to have no bloody relatives sitting in the background judging every decision you ever make (or is that just my family :whistle: )

Archie_tect

... In fact it did get me wondering a bit if actually the key to being balanced and happy is to have no bloody relatives sitting in the background judging every decision you ever make (or is that just my family :whistle: )
Depends on the quality of the decisions Craig!

I've been thinking [dangerous I know] but without me around as I'm an only child [and now my wife and 2 children] my mother would have no immediate family... not a single person. :ohmy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Depends on the quality of the decisions Craig!

I've been thinking [dangerous I know] but without me around [and my children], and her older sister who's 90, my mother would have no immediate family... not a single person. :ohmy:

Oh, most of mine have been absolutely shit, but you live and repeat them learn eh :wacko:

Your second paragraph is odd though, you seem to be saying that apart from all her relatives your mum is on her own ^_^

Archie_tect

Yes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is it still the rule now or are they back to multiple offspring?

I believe the policy has been quietly dropped.

According to a documentary I saw, some villages and small towns have been left with a population skewed towards the elderly.

As you might imagine, that's caused some problems with lack of economic activity and the provision of services.

I have several clients who have effectively no family. In some cases it's because of addictions to alcohol or drugs, and generally they are aware they made poor decisions and are trying to rebuild their lives as best they can, but I have at least two who were essentially abandoned by their immediate family and grew up in children's homes through no fault of their own.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have several clients who have effectively no family. In some cases it's because of addictions to alcohol or drugs, and generally they are aware they made poor decisions and are trying to rebuild their lives as best they can, but I have at least two who were essentially abandoned by their immediate family and grew up in children's homes through no fault of their own.
I imagine that never knowing any relatives because you were abandoned at an early age might be worse than having lost them later.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A slight diversion of thoughts but
I knew a guy who was late 70s.
He and a lady friend of his only son had been close friends .....strictly platonic.
She was skint after 2 bad marriages.
Anyway, a decision was made. They got married and she moved in to look after him till the end.
His son was not short of money and was happy for his Dad to leave what he had to the wife.
A win win situation.

Top Bottom