I might get a new bike for my tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
sorry @albertramsbottom I have replied to your PM but now see that you are tall and my Koga will not suit you. I about 5'9" and the bike would be ok for someone a bit taller but 6'3" I doubt.

The answer by @HobbesOnTour is very well worth reading. You need a bit of knowledge to judge whether the base bike is up to the task (thing like stuck seat posts, BBs and headsets can be a faff, and components may need replacing) but with the right bike, it is fantastic route.

Some compromise is needed bearing in mind your budget, and whilst I would love to have free electric on tap, I cannot really see the need for dyno lights. But it is not for us to tell you you are wrong, although I generally find experienced tourists have a lot to offer in terms of experience. Worth finding people who have learnt the hard way and listen to where they went wrong!

Nebulous

Guru
I've just spent around your budget on a set of wheels with a dynohub. I was another £80 for a light with a usb socket. I bought it/them because I'm doing some overnight rides where I'll need decent lights. I was trying to explain my purchase to a friend who said: And how much are a set of batteries, about £3.99?

The point of that anecdote is, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Many of us spend money, simply because we can. I've been frugal all of my life and am in a narrow zone, between children and retirement, where I have more money.

The old mtb, adapted for your purpose is the sensible option.

Crankarm

Guru
Triples are the way to go unless you're very sure you don't need them.
I mean, I've toured on a Brompton, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best tool for the job - it was forced on me by Eurostars bike policies!

I've toured the Pyrenees on my Brompton up and over the Cols Marie Blanc, Aubisque, Soulor and Tourmalet. I too took the Eurostar to Paris and then TGV down to Biarritz. A very enjoyable tour it was too. My Brompton coped extremely well. The TGV's train conductor's fat nasty face was a picture after I'd folded it down and carried it on after he had not long before on the platform told me in no uncertain terms before I got on "NON, a velo!"

Crankarm

Guru
OK I have a look at those radons on https://www.bike-discount.de/en/trekking-bike and they seem to have all I need. And free shipping. I know this is shallow but the only thing that puts me off is the colour? I know, I know :wacko:

You have been given lots of good sound advice on this thread by many experienced cycle tourers for FREE. It might be as well to heed it. I think your strong desire for Dyno lights is totally irrational. Forget them. Just get some cheap mid priced Cateye lights which will do the job fine for the odd occasion you will cycle at night on tour or if you need to ride through tunnels. For power just get some RAV power banks off Amazon and if you want solar panels the RAV ones are good as well at a very reasonable price. I think probably your lack of cycling experience and bizarre attachment to certain accessories is preventing you from making sensible decisions. What ever bike you end up with it should fit you properly and be comfortable as you are after all going to be spending many hours each day in the saddle.

FWIW I would snap up JayClock's Kioga as they make some of the best touring/expedition bikes going, but only if it is the right size. Or you could simply buy it because it is Jayclock and he comes across as a thoroughly trust worthy guy who knows what he is talking about having clocked up (pun intended) many thousands of miles of cycling touring experience. His cycling journals are very enjoyable. You could also learn a lot from these.

There is also Ebay for a good second hand tourer such as Dawes Super Galaxy, but whether you would find one for less that £500? You might get lucky like winning the lottery. If you want a bike with good DISC brakes, such as Shimano hydraulics and a good set of strong wheels you are going to have to increase your budget substantially. £500 is not going to get you want you want.

Good luck. It sounds like you will need it.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've toured the Pyrenees on my Brompton up and over the Cols Marie Blanc, Aubisque, Soulor and Tourmalet. I too took the Eurostar to Paris and then TGV down to Biarritz. A very enjoyable tour it was too. My Brompton coped extremely well. The TGV's train conductor's fat nasty face was a picture after I'd folded it down and carried it on after he had not long before on the platform told me in no uncertain terms before I got on "NON, a velo!"
Yes - the ability to get it onto Eurostar, TGV and a bus was key to my particular ride. While I enjoyed the trip, I'd have sooner been on one of my other bikes for going up Ventoux, and especially for coming down it. I was probably doing 45 mph at some points...
But yes, I agree with you that a Brompton tour can be excellent fun. To be fair, I've toured on all my bikes at some point.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Yes - the ability to get it onto Eurostar, TGV and a bus was key to my particular ride. While I enjoyed the trip, I'd have sooner been on one of my other bikes for going up Ventoux, and especially for coming down it. I was probably doing 45 mph at some points...
But yes, I agree with you that a Brompton tour can be excellent fun. To be fair, I've toured on all my bikes at some point.

Yeah agree. But I would do it again simply for the convenience factor being able to use Eurostar and TGV with no hassle compared to the hassle you would have making the same trip with a full fixed frame bike. But yes actually riding, a normal touring bike may well be preferable day after day, but the Brompton is not a poor performer. You have to make some allowances but these are far outweighed by the benefits. Having said this I have not toured on my Brompton since this last tour which must be 15 years ago now preferring instead my full frame touring bikes, but then again I haven't been on Eurostar or a TGV since then either.

jay clock

Massive member
You have been given lots of good sound advice on this thread by many experienced cycle tourers for FREE. It might be as well to heed it. I think your strong desire for Dyno lights is totally irrational. Forget them. Just get some cheap mid priced Cateye lights which will do the job fine for the odd occasion you will cycle at night on tour or if you need to ride through tunnels. For power just get some RAV power banks off Amazon and if you want solar panels the RAV ones are good as well at a very reasonable price. I think probably your lack of cycling experience and bizarre attachment to certain accessories is preventing you from making sensible decisions. What ever bike you end up with it should fit you properly and be comfortable as you are after all going to be spending many hours each day in the saddle.

FWIW I would snap up JayClock's Kioga as they make some of the best touring/expedition bikes going, but only if it is the right size. Or you could simply buy it because it is Jayclock and he comes across as a thoroughly trust worthy guy who knows what he is talking about having clocked up (pun intended) many thousands of miles of cycling touring experience. His cycling journals are very enjoyable. You could also learn a lot from these.

There is also Ebay for a good second hand tourer such as Dawes Super Galaxy, but whether you would find one for less that £500? You might get lucky like winning the lottery. If you want a bike with good DISC brakes, such as Shimano hydraulics and a good set of strong wheels you are going to have to increase your budget substantially. £500 is not going to get you want you want.

Good luck. It sounds like you will need it.
Where do I send the cheque?!

Top Bottom