I missed an anniversary :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The age of the car is passing...

Since I changed jobs late last century, I've not used mine for work. If I'm honest, on a bad day, it can seem hard going commuting by bike year round; I won't pretend it wouldn't be easier and more comfortable in a car sometimes either. But on the whole, I'm pretty happy with my lot as a cyclist nowadays! :eek:

ChrisKH

Guru
I haven't given up driving, but everytime I get in my car the battery's flat which will give you some indication as to how often it's used.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't have a car, and don't have anywhere to park one. I do get a lift maybe once a week, to go out to horse riding, although that's because the friend I go with drives and it's nice to have a lift and chat - I (in fact both of us) could cycle out, but for her it's a bit tougher, and if there's a headwind, or it's raining, it's no fun.

Otherwise, I manage fine - although I don't have hobbies with large bits of kit or anything like that...

spen666

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Still got my motor vehicles (three at last count, plus Mrs RT's car). I did a year without a car but I found I enjoyed having one (or more) around so I went back to the dark side.

Go on then, I'll be themuppet to ask it, but why do you have so many motor vehicles?

Peyote

Can't really claim to be a non-fossil fuel traveller as I still use buses, trains and occassionally hire cars/vans (about 5 times a year!). It's been five years since I had a car and I have never regretted getting rid of it.

The weekly shop goes in the trailer, all journeys under 20 odd miles (give or take) are carried out by bike, longer distances I catch the train or hire a car if there's more than just me going. If I need tranpsort in an emergency there's taxis and if I've got anything heavy to buy I'll get it delivered. I can't really think of any other circumstance when I'd need private motor transport.

The only problem I really have is not sounding smug when I tell people about my transport choices! :eek:

Arch

Married to Night Train
spen666][quote name= said:
I imagine, for the same reason many of us have more than one bike?

IE, different vehicles for different tasks, or just because one likes owning them?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch][quote name= said:
Rhythm Thief' said:
Still got my motor vehicles (three at last count' date=' plus Mrs RT's car). I did a year without a car but I found I enjoyed having one (or more) around so I went back to the dark side.[/quote']

Go on then, I'll be themuppet to ask it, but why do you have so many motor vehicles?

IE, different vehicles for different tasks, or just because one likes owning them?

Hey up Arch - do you think those reasons would be good enough for me to (Oh dear Political Correctness problem) "own/have" more than one woman :eek: :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
twentysix by twentyfive][quote name= said:
spen666 said:
Rhythm Thief' said:
Still got my motor vehicles (three at last count' date=' plus Mrs RT's car). I did a year without a car but I found I enjoyed having one (or more) around so I went back to the dark side.[/quote']

Hey up Arch - do you think those reasons would be good enough for me to (Oh dear Political Correctness problem) "own/have" more than one woman :eek: :blush:

Ah, that would depend on the attitudes and opinions of the women. Only if they could also have/own more than one man each too, for fairness.

Arch said:
I don't have a car

Do you realise that you're depriving an elephant of a job at the traffic lights? :eek:

spen666][quote name= said:
Everyday car - ancient Volvo estate. Handy for carting the band's gear around.
Camper van - Palaeolithic Citroen H van - currently off road and a long term project.
Fun car - Porsche 924, recently given to me by my dad, who knew what he was doing cos I've had it three weeks and it's spent two of those being repaired :eek: .

Like Arch says, think of it as having three bikes. I just like cars. :blush:

Big Bren

I do around 25k business miles each year, so can't avoid owning a car. This time around though, I refused a giant gas guzzling 4x4 as my company vehicle and opted for something more economical and friendly to the environment.

We also own a 1976 VW Camper - Mrs B uses it as her daily drive, then we chuck the kids in most weekends and bugger off somewhere. It's not the most economical of vehicles, but then we don't fly, so I like to think there's some kind of offset going on. Best thing we ever did by the way - owning the van has made us much closer as a family.

Bren

Top Bottom