I must be a Wind God

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm starting a LEJOG on Sunday and, rather foolishly, thought I'd have a look at the long-range weather forecast.

It seems that while I'm heading NE through Cornwall and Devon the wind will be blowing from the NE.

As I turn north through the Welsh borders the wind is going to change to... yep, you've guessed it. A northerly.

I can't remember the exact book, but I remind myself of a lorry driver who featured in a Douglas Adams novel. Unbeknown to him, he was actually a Rain God and wherever he drove his lorry the clouds would follow and try and please him by raining heavily.

I must be a Wind God.

Sigh.

Graham

Hmmm, a mate of mine has exactly the same effect. If you ever met him coming in the opposite direction, you could cause a twister!

Good luck with LEJOG, and watch out for Rob McKenna, "an ordinary lorry driver who can never get away from rain and he has a log-book showing that it has rained on him every day, anywhere that he has ever been, to prove it." (So Long and Thanks for All the Fish)

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Rob McKenna. That's him!

I'm the headwind version of this...

“And as he drove on, the rainclouds dragged down the sky after him, for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him, and to water him.”

Lozz360

Veteran
You'll be absolutely fine. Forecast now says 6 knots from north west backing to a westerly as the day goes on. You won't notice it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The longest ride I've ever done was the 300km Vatternrundan in Sweden. It's an circular route around a long thin lake in southern Sweden. Not only was the weather hilariously rubbish (close to freezing and raining in June) but the wind direction swung around to ensure that I had a headwind for nearly the entire distance.

Thankfully it's the only time that's happened, but it's a rare cyclist indeed who feels they they're lucky with wind.

Top Bottom