I need a bit of a vent...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steady

Über Member
I agree with walking advice, whilst it may seem boring or pointless especially if it's inner city street walking, but setting up a one/two/three mile circular walk to do sets a good routine and gives the mind a rest from being feeling stressed about not cycling.

I can't say inner city walking is nice, I don't do it because it's pleasant or enjoyable but it's movement and can keep the demons at bay.

Kins

Über Member
Similar situation, did my back in on Xmas eve picking up my ipod to ride to the shops.Yeah really! Couldn't walk to the kitchen (about 15ft) without 2 sticks. Gradually got better then just as I started to ride again, it went again in March. Not as bad this time and its gradually getting better.

Hurts more when I walk than when I cycle, think thats the impact of taking steps. 14 miles is just about right for me, then a day off . Tried a 20 miler and was sore for a few days after.

Take it easy chap, and let your body heal! We all wanna be out in the sunshine, but better to relax a bit and be able to enjoy more of the summer, than F it up now and be able to do bugger all till it starts raining again! :thumbsup:

RebornBumbler

You've got several bikes - you could always go to town with a complete strip-down, clean, grease, rebuild on them.
I agree on the walking too - good for the mind just like cycling.
Get a bus or a train somewhere and have your walk there, if there's not much countryside locally.

Hope you're back in the saddle soon :smile:

Wafer

Veteran
How about learning something new through some kind of local or online course? Almost doesn't matter what it is as long as it holds some interest!
There are a bunch of free online courses at places like https://www.canvas.net/ and I would assume some stuff is run locally to you that isn't particular expensive to join.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
I'd love to, but easier said than done when you still bear the pain and scars (literally) and will do for a while yet :sad:

ignore it .. the post was idiotic.........:reading:

if you're stuck indoors during wee bouts of exercise - but want to be involved with bikes - how about a restoration job..?

i'm a bit stuck out in the country ATM and found the last two i did a simple refurb on, were a very enjoyable and peaceful pastime

your credit card will still take a hit but at least it wont be shoes.........:giggle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
You've got several bikes - you could always go to town with a complete strip-down, clean, grease, rebuild on them.
I agree on the walking too - good for the mind just like cycling.
Get a bus or a train somewhere and have your walk there, if there's not much countryside locally.

Hope you're back in the saddle soon :smile:
Erm, I don't really do mechanical stuff (you should have seen me trying to fix a puncture on Sunday - I almost threw the blo*dy wheel in the car and drove to the LBS) and all of the bikes are almost new! But cheers

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
ignore it .. the post was idiotic.........:reading:

if you're stuck indoors during wee bouts of exercise - but want to be involved with bikes - how about a restoration job..?

i'm a bit stuck out in the country ATM and found the last two i did a simple refurb on, were a very enjoyable and peaceful pastime

your credit card will still take a hit but at least it wont be shoes.........:giggle:

Don't talk to me about shoes - cycling shoes account for much of the CC hammering (all have gone back though so far!)

Again, I am not really the mechanical type

The problem too is I work from home mostly and I am not really busy enough!

I feel for you, I really do.

This may sound a bit twee, but one of the things riding my bike does for me, is to take my mind away from 'other' issues and gives me a challenge. So, have you considered another way of doing that? It doesn't work for everyone, but something that (sometimes) works for me when I'm fed up or depressed is sitting as still and quiet as I can, and try to count my breaths in and out. If I think of anything at all but how many breaths I've done, I have to start again. It's a very basic form of meditation, which may be something you could look at further? Failing that, have you room for a punch bag and skipping rope? They're ace.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've no room for more bikes :smile:

Well I mowed the lawn and pulled a few weeds...other than feeling worse and having a sore back and leg, it was a bit of time wasted!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Well I mowed the lawn and pulled a few weeds...other than feeling worse and having a sore back and leg, it was a bit of time wasted!
Books are great for escaping :whistle: used to choose a good book instead of a bike ride :smile:
Or contribute to all of Shaun's fora, there will be no hours in the day left for feeling bored :laugh:
Wishes for a speedy "back on your bike" :hugs:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Mowing probably not so good for your back, depending on your mower, but it does get you out. I spent most of the day mowing today, so I don't have that to do this weekend, and can devote more time to riding, after my golf loss to game with Mrs. GA.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom