I need a bit of help from the forum bikers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Long story, but what feels like a 100 years ago, I passed the first part of the two part motorcycle test on Wednesday and my car test on the Thursday, so never really bothered with bikes on the road since. I've been toying with the idea of trying to find out what I needed to do to get back on a bike again so I handed my licence to a mate at work who immediately informed me that I already had a full cat A licence since 2013. I can't really work out what's went on but I only remember doing the off road part of the test and it was 1987 not 2013.
Anyone any ideas of why I might already have this entitlement?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The CBT only came into force in 1990.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The CBT only came into force in 1990.
Yeah, it was pre CBT which is before you can even go on the road with L plates unsupervised but it was still a 2 part test with exercises like cycling proficiency on the 1st part and on road the second part which I never sat and certainly not in 2013 as it states on my licence.

U

User6179

Yeah, it was pre CBT which is before you can even go on the road with L plates unsupervised but it was still a 2 part test with exercises like cycling proficiency on the 1st part and on road the second part which I never sat and certainly not in 2013 as it states on my licence.

Did you renew the licence in 2013 and this was added ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Quite a few have had the entitlement mysteriously disappear from their licences when sent in for renewal. Such a thing happened to a copper I knew and he only got it reinstated because regional force driving school had kept a photocopy.

Perhaps now they're also doing the opposite?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Quite a few have had the entitlement mysteriously disappear from their licences when sent in for renewal. Such a thing happened to a copper I knew and he only got it reinstated because regional force driving school had kept a photocopy.

Seems strange if that's the case. I thought maybe some kind of grandfather rights or something.

Levo-Lon

Guru

That happened a lot i believe a while back.
Think MAG made a big fuss..seemed to be motorcycle entitlement was disappearing

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Regardless of what your licence says it has obviously been so long since you have been near a motorbike. It is worth going through the whole process again. A piece of paper doesnt mean you can ride a bike. Only good instruction and experience will. It is worth it.

You may have the idea of "ONLY" riding a 125cc bike. I have had everything from an 1100cc Moto Guzzi. But I broke both arms and right leg on a Honda C50.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Regardless of what your licence says it has obviously been so long since you have been near a motorbike. It is worth going through the whole process again. A piece of paper doesnt mean you can ride a bike. Only good instruction and experience will. It is worth it.

You may have the idea of "ONLY" riding a 125cc bike. I have had everything from an 1100cc Moto Guzzi. But I broke both arms and right leg on a Honda C50.
Already in hand. I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge of why I have it. Maybe it's been on my licence since day 1, I never really bothered too much about it at the time but why would my current licence say the entitlement started in 2013?

I've already spoken with a motorcycle trainer who recommended the biking equivalent of the advanced driving course.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Trying to throw it over a hedge?
Lol I do remember myself and all my mates desperate to get on the road at 16 with various 50cc machines. When I told the mechanic in the bike shop I was going out on the stroke of midnight in cold hard frost he laughed and said I would fall off before I got to his house.

When I saw him the next night I declared quite proudly that I passed his house without falling off. He asked how far I did get and I had to tell him I fell off on the first roundabout I came to about half a mile further along. :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Lol I do remember myself and all my mates desperate to get on the road at 16 with various 50cc machines. When I told the mechanic in the bike shop I was going out on the stroke of midnight in cold hard frost he laughed and said I would fall off before I got to his house.

When I saw him the next night I declared quite proudly that I passed his house without falling off. He asked how far I did get and I had to tell him I fell off on the first roundabout I came to about half a mile further along. :laugh:

I did something similar on my first moped - a fanbelt drive step through Raleigh.

Flat out down a country lane at dead of night, the six volt headlamp failed to illuminate the sharp bend I knew was there.

I went straight on into a farm field.

Happily, there was no gate so I just fell off without hitting anything apart from the muddy ground.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ooh yes.... I crashed my Puch Maxi on a greasy roundabout and skidded down the road wearing holes in the knees of my brand new trousers. I bet they were flares as well.

Top Bottom