I need a good horn!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I'm toying with two ideas:

1) Air Zound.

2) Car horn and 12 battery (DIY job).

WRT option 2 - has anyone here tried this? I certainly won't want to haul a big old car battery or even a motorbike battery around with me but I'm wondering if there are any small and lightweight rechargeable batteries out there that would be able to power a car horn?

A penny for your thoughts ...

Jezston

Über Member
AirZound! Don't car horns need compressed air?

Jezston

Über Member
Hmm, my engineery knowledge is pretty rusty, but I guess you'd need a fair bit of power, which might explain why I've heard that those electric bike horns you can get are a bit pants.

Be interested in hearing how you get on if you do have a go, but AirZounds do weigh virtually nothing.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I just did a bit of rummaging on Google and it seems that to get a 139dB car horn working, not only do you need 12V, but you also need at least 4A! The small 12V batteries produce about 40mAh - so you would get about 3 seconds out of a car horn before the battery went flat!

Air Zound it is then ...

1) Air Zound.

WRT option 2 - has anyone here tried this? I certainly won't want to haul a big old car battery or even a motorbike battery around with me but I'm wondering if there are any small and lightweight rechargeable batteries out there that would be able to power a car horn?

hackbike 666 has been running a car horn system for years, you could try pm'ing him.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
How about one of those cannister-with-a-horn-on-top things used by sports clubs instead of a gun ? I know sailing clubs often use them and I think some of them are pump-up re-chargeable (otherwise they'd need an awful lot of the cannisters during a season of athletic endeavour ;)).

zoxed

Über Member
1) Air Zound.

3) Air-canister horn (often used at sport events). Main problem is fitting it to the bike and activating it, although some people have managed to rig up remote operating cables.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can get Fiamm "snail" type horns in 6 volt versions, you could rig these up to a 6v motorcycle battery, which is about the size of a box of chocolates. They are pretty damned loud.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I used to have difficulty waking up in the morning, and rigged up a motorbike horn to a 12v adaptor and a mains time-clock. The noise one of those buggers makes in an enclosed space has to be experienced to be believed. That's one alarm you don't sleep thru'....

Crankarm

Guru

1) Air Zound.

Right where's your penny?

My first thought. What has brought about your need for a horn, a loud horn?

How do you intend to pay ;) ?

Top Bottom