I need more speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
I got dropped after about just 10 miles last night - it's not the first time, and it won't be the last! A quick look at my miles log shows most of Feb and the whole of March was a write off due to illness (as much as I'd like to use this as an excuse....) anyway, after 26 miles my ave speed was 19.1 mph. On the one hand, I happy that this is my fastest ride of year, but there again I'm a bit frustrated with my lack of speed.

I've had about six weeks of uninterupted riding, I'm comfortable doing about 180 - 200 miles /week. There's a local loop (26 miles) I ride hard once/week, and my time is improving on that. A week goes something like this:

Sat: group ride, fastish.
Sun:30-35 miles, steady pace.
Mon:26 mile fast (or 40 -45).
Tue: gentle ride(15-20 miles)
Wed:Club run.
Thu:40
Fri:Off/10-15 miles gentle.

If I'm going to miss the club run, I'll do a longer ride on the Mon, and the fast (for me!!) loop on the Wed. Also I'd rather do 10-15 slow than have a day off completely.

I enjoy going out for 40 miles or so, but writing that out, maybe I need to do more specific speed work?

Any fit/fast/knowledgeable people care to offer any advice?

Cheers.

Michael

walker

anyone? no?

ok It'll have to be me.
You need to incorporate Interval work into your workouts. I would try and get in 8x15second sprints in your monday or Saturday ride.

Also, try taking it easy for a week, you might be pushing to hard before your club run.

Also, like alot of other riders it takes around 10 miles to warm up, stick in there, if you feel yourself dropping, push a little harder, it will click in and you'd be able to go with the rest of the group.

for info like this try www.roadcyclinguk.com the guys here are a little more knowledge able then some here

Blue

Legendary Member
MichaelM said:
anyway, after 26 miles my ave speed was 19.1 mph................., but there again I'm a bit frustrated with my lack of speed.

Michael

I doubt if many of the regular contributors on here could manage, never mind improve on, that on a regular basis so will be surprised if you get much in the way of useful advice.

col

Legendary Member
MichaelM said:
I got dropped after about just 10 miles last night - it's not the first time, and it won't be the last! A quick look at my miles log shows most of Feb and the whole of March was a write off due to illness (as much as I'd like to use this as an excuse....) anyway, after 26 miles my ave speed was 19.1 mph. On the one hand, I happy that this is my fastest ride of year, but there again I'm a bit frustrated with my lack of speed.

I've had about six weeks of uninterupted riding, I'm comfortable doing about 180 - 200 miles /week. There's a local loop (26 miles) I ride hard once/week, and my time is improving on that. A week goes something like this:

Sat: group ride, fastish.
Sun:30-35 miles, steady pace.
Mon:26 mile fast (or 40 -45).
Tue: gentle ride(15-20 miles)
Wed:Club run.
Thu:40
Fri:Off/10-15 miles gentle.

If I'm going to miss the club run, I'll do a longer ride on the Mon, and the fast (for me!!) loop on the Wed. Also I'd rather do 10-15 slow than have a day off completely.

I enjoy going out for 40 miles or so, but writing that out, maybe I need to do more specific speed work?

Any fit/fast/knowledgeable people care to offer any advice?

Cheers.

Michael

It also looks to me that you are not getting enough rest,thats one of the most important things for improved performance,try taking a day off altogether,to give yourself a recovery day,im sure you will feel the benefit.

walker

Blue said:
I doubt if many of the regular contributors on here could manage, never mind improve on, that on a regular basis so will be surprised if you get much in the way of useful advice.

In a group thats easily achiveable blue, and also on flats

Blue

Legendary Member
walker said:
In a group thats easily achiveable blue, and also on flats

I wouldn't argue with that as I could manage that as well.

Perhaps I have misread the OP as I had the impression that he was disappointed that this wasn't his overall average speed, all terrains/weather, solo or whatever.

walker

also if speed has deminished over the last few weeks or so, you could be suffering burnout, take a fortnight break and get back in the saddle

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Blue said:
I wouldn't argue with that as I could manage that as well.

Perhaps I have misread the OP as I had the impression that he was disappointed that this wasn't his overall average speed, all terrains/weather, solo or whatever.

You're right, it's not my overall average speed,all terrains/weathers etc. But when I do get dropped, I still keep my speed up faster than I normally would had I began the ride by myself (I know I've had the advantage of being in a group for part of the ride, but my individual speed still remains relatively high - if that makes sense!).

If I go out by myself, a staedy ride is between 15 and 16mph, I usually seem to have to work hard and concentrate to be over 16, a harder ride is usually16-17.5mph. If I find I can't maintain my speed on (what I regard as ) a steady ride, I'll accept that as a sign that I'm tired, cut the ride short and take it easy.

My speed is not diminishing, it's getting better. I'm sure I'm not burned out having been forced to take the best part of 2 months off due to a ear infection.

I've had a look at Roadcycling and got some good ideas for some speed sessions there.

Cheers for the replies.

Michael

walker

So your speed is good, but your just getting dropped in the group rides.

from what your saying I gather that your not actually confident to ride in a group, your being dropped becuase your too far back off the last wheel so your having to work harder than the rest in the group. Does this sound more like you?

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
walker said:
So your speed is good, but your just getting dropped in the group rides.

from what your saying I gather that your not actually confident to ride in a group, your being dropped becuase your too far back off the last wheel so your having to work harder than the rest in the group. Does this sound more like you?

I don't think so. I'm quite happy in a group, and more than willing to take my turn on the front.

If I'm honest with myself, it's most probably down to my weight - it's usually on the hilly/undulating routes that I'm dropped, and almost always on a rise that the shedding takes place!

There a was a particular moment on Wed when I was about 50 m behind, riding at 20mph, but unable to raise that to get back on, if I had managed it at that point, the return leg was less hilly.

I think I've got it sorted, intervals for a bit of a turn of speed, and stop being a lardarse!

yenrod

When you ride with the group do you ride through and off or sit-on :eek:

Try sitting on; it could be you need more warm-up like me OR just rest...

Generally looking at your diary of riding it looks like your 'going for it' most days...

Try spreading it smartly ie (over seperate days);

Big ride, small ride, small ride, medium ride, big ride, small ride, rest, medium ride...:biggrin: - with variation to maximise quality rides.

If not checking the heartrate, do it in the morning everyday! / get a HRM !

All the best.

RedBike

I think this is the perfect excuse for a new bike or those deep sectioned new wheels. (Is this the answer you were after to justify your new purchase to the other half?):eek:

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
RedBike said:
I think this is the perfect excuse for a new bike or those deep sectioned new wheels. (Is this the answer you were after to justify your new purchase to the other half?):eek:

What! another new bike :smile:

yenrod said:
When you ride with the group do you ride through and off or sit-on :biggrin:

Try sitting on; it could be you need more warm-up like me OR just rest...

Generally looking at your diary of riding it looks like your 'going for it' most days...

Try spreading it smartly ie (over seperate days);

Big ride, small ride, small ride, medium ride, big ride, small ride, rest, medium ride...:tongue: - with variation to maximise quality rides.

If not checking the heartrate, do it in the morning everyday! / get a HRM !

All the best.

Through and off.

What you say about warming up makes sense, feels like we set off too fast, then I get dropped, ease off and catch my breath and pick it up again.

Had a two day break, going to try this for a while , see how things go:

Sat: Club ride/long solo.
Sun: Easy
Mon: Intervals
Tue:Easy
Wed: Club midweek run
Thu: Easy
Fri :ohmy:ff

Easy rides are are just that, 10 -20 miles, no computer, mainly to keep me feeling like I've done something and keep the beer/wine urges at bay!

Cheers for the replies.

Michael

walker

have you tried getting to the front of the group before the hill climb? that way as the others are going up faster than you, you will only end up in the middle to end of the group, hence you won't actually get dropped, a little easier said than done but try it out

I was told that deep section wheels wont be enough to make a noticeable difference untill you can already ride about 25mph. Anyone disagree with this?

Top Bottom