I need some bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daSmirnov

What sort of budget are we looking at? A £300-£400 hybrid, with some bar ends (just to have some more hand positions) will do the job quite nicely, 60-80 miles a day wouldn't be outrageous on it.

But like Mr Swindoom, I'd go with a steel-framed tourer. More expensive but designed for that sort of thing.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Giant Avail 4- Women's specific design road bike with more upright touring oriented geometry (racing geomentry bikes such as the Spesh and Bianchi generally have a more streched out riding position), will take full mudguards and a pannier rack. Wider 25c tyres give a more comfortable ride over variable surfaces. Triple chainset allows you to tackle hills with ease too. I have the mens version (defy 4). Carbon is fashionable at the moment, but you can build a stiff or flexy frame from carbon, steel or aluminium, it's all in the design of the frame and the use for which it is intended. Racers want a stiff frame for maximum efficiency, audax/tourers want a flexy frame to absorb bumps and lumps. You don't need to spend £1000+ for a good bike. £400-500 will buy a bike capable of tackling any charity road ride.
http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-avail-4-2011?zenid=27e6cf382498bc7f34379094cf241a30

Avail%204_LRG.gif

Attachments

• Avail%204_LRG.gif
    Avail%204_LRG.gif
    147.2 KB · Views: 8

PpPete

Legendary Member
The steel fork on the Avail mentioned above is heavy compared with the rest of the bike. Higher up the range you get a lighter carbon fork. That said the teenage daughter of a friend of mine rode John O'Groats - Land's End on the heavier one..... mind you her younger sister rode it on a Giant Escape
giant-escape-2-w-hybrid-bike-57785.jpg

rollinstok

I would go for a hybrid, a tourer, or a cyclocross bike. I go along with comfort first and speed last. The problem with road bikes is you cant take them off the road. There is an abundance of trails and cyclepaths that you would not be able to utilise with a racing style road bike. I much prefer to be off road than puffing and panting in all those car fumes.

indeterminate

The Dawes Galaxy range could be an option for a ride of over 300 miles, obviously you are going to take a change of clothing,provisions so the panniers on the Dawes would be great for such a long ride
Best of luck with it all, cycling from London to Paris will be a fantastic experience

Camrider

Any bike shop recommending carbon for touring is one to be avoided IMO. Unless you are not going to carry any luggage then you need a frame capable of fitting racks.

You don't say what you budget is but if you are being recommend carbon then I assume we are talking over £1000. You could do a lot worse than check out the people from Thorn Cycles The Audax Mk 3 would be worth considering, and the Sherpa which you can specify with Flat or drop handle bars another. Both steel framed bikes with plenty of customisation options which you won't get with an off the peg bike for a similar price. Main downside is that you would need to be able to go over to Bridgwater for a fitting and test ride.

I'd strongly reccomend looking at a Cyclocross. It has the benefits of drop bars for a change of hand positions, wider tires for more comfort and more 'go anyway ability', and they tend to be a bit more bomb proof than a pure Roadie. Change the tyres from full cross tyres to semi slicks though. Tourers would also be a good bet. Comfort is going to be the most important thing for you - it sounds like you have the fitness.

Best wishes for your trip!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Another vote for a cross bike. Doesn't have to be expensive and they really are bomb proof. Most can take 'guards and racks' too and the 30mm+ tyres provide a comfortable ride and are fairly puncture proof. I love my CAADX and ride it more than my carbon right now, but that's mainly due to the weather. I think most LONDON -> PARIS rides have full luggage facilities (ie they take your kit between stops via minibus), so a rack/panniers may not be so important, however saying that make sure you have enough capacity to carry food and drink etc..

Lorraine, Is your event supported, if all you are doing is riding IMO carbon will usually offer the fastest/ lightest/ most comfortable ride, but if you need to carry something more substantial than a water bottle & small wedge bag or your route is 100% on road, I'd look at getting something more robust, maybe steel, Alu or Ti depending on budget. The more important factor than the material IMO is to get a bike you are comfortable with.

lulubel

Über Member
I totally agree with all the comments about fit of the bike being far more important than the material. I have a women specific Trek that fits me really well, and I could comfortably ride it all day. It's an alu frame with carbon forks.

Regarding training for the ride, you'll probably find your running fitness converts well, especially if you regularly run up and down hills. Converting from cycling to running is hard because running uses more muscles than cycling, but as a runner you'll already be using pretty much all of the muscles you'll use as a cyclist. The most likely problems you'll encounter to begin with are a sore backside while you adjust to spending hours in the saddle, and possibly some upper body stiffness from spending a long time in a fairly fixed position. Add some upper body stretches to your normal stretching routine.

The type of bike you choose is very personal, but my choice would be a road bike with drop bars. I like it because it goes fast for relatively little effort, and there are lots of different places to put your hands. This helps prevent discomfort from pressure on a certain part of your hand, but also helps to reduce the stiffness I already mentioned. Moving your hands changes your upper body position slightly and helps to prevent you getting "locked" in one position.

donnyjnk

I would find a bike shop that is interested in you and not just selling you a bike. I have both a road bike and a MTB but would only consider that kind of distance on a roadie. Consider how much you want to spend. will you use it afterwards. Carbon is ultimate but is expensive. Consider other types. You can always add you own bits and pieces and I know that some bike shops offer a correct sizing facility. This can be around £80 but well worth the effort. Good luck with what evr you decide but enjoy the experience.. I am training to cycle from Doncaster to Mount Snowden then up it for Yorkshire Air Ambulance so well done. You never know if you create a link through paypal you might get some sponsors from here.:hello:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum tonight. I need some advice. I am a runner really, not a cyclist, only recreational riding on my mountain bike a few times a year. However, life has all changed. 2 months ago my mum died of pancreatic cancer and I have just signed up to do the London to Paris charity ride.........311 miles on a bike is a long way for me! I've been to a number of bike shops and everyone recommends a road bike with racing handle bars not straight, and carbon as opposed to alluminium. I am currently looking at 'Specialized' and 'Bianchi'. I would appreciate any feedback and/or comments/recommendations. The ride is in June so I need to get training asap, I live in Gerrards Cross so would love the opportunity to join any rides.

Good day to you! I hope this finds you well. I have only been riding a year this month. I have a Specialized Rubaix that is all carbon fiber, and I absolutely love it. I was nervous about killing the bike as I am 187.96 cm and 104.24 kg. This bike has never given me an ounce of trouble! I tried many others, and this fit me well, and rides like a dream.

Falwheeler

There you go Lorraine, that's answered your question ^_^ I agree fit and comfort is most important but do you intend riding after the event and if so what type of riding. 311 miles is a long way but not much in the life time of a bike, unless you're going to sell it afterwards.

Top Bottom