I need to update a Windows XP PC. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
error message.JPG
I have a Windows XP Home Edition machine with Service Pack 1 and Internet Explorer 6. The reason it's so outdated is because I just used the original Restore disks to re-install the OS and the drivers. What I would like to do is install Service Pack 3 and IE8, but I have a bit of a problem. I can log on to CC, Google and some other sites. They look a bit clunky but they are there. Unfortunately, when I try and get onto Microsoft's sites to access the upgrade downloads, I can't get in. I can with another machine running XP, SP3 and IE8. Here's the message I get on the screen. It looks like my IE settings are the problem. They are just the default ones that came on the Restore disks. Can anybody point me in the right direction? BTW, its a 32 bit desktop and I don't care about security issues. It isn't going to be online, just hard-wired to a nest box camera.

Thank you.

classic33

Leg End Member
Download IE10 on a seperate machine, choosing to install later, then install on the PC as required.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Download IE10 on a seperate machine, choosing to install later, then install on the PC as required.
Thanks. Do you mean save it on a USB memory stick on another machine and then plug it in to the wonky one to install? I'm pretty sure that you can't go higher than IE8 on an XP machine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks. Do you mean save it on a USB memory stick on another machine and then plug it in to the wonky one to install? I'm pretty sure that you can't go higher than IE8 on an XP machine.
Quick search shows IE9 as the newest version

Microsoft says it is not compatable with my system, XP Pro

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Have you tried using Windows Update rather than going to the Microsoft update page? I had to do the same thing just last week and it worked fine for me that way. Once I had installed the 124(!) security updates, it let me install IE8. Prior to that the machine was using IE6.

GC

RWright

Guru
If I could find software to run the camera on Linux, I would. I was recently given a small Laptop SSD and decided to load Linux Mint on it. I have been very happy with it. It is very fast but I am sure the SSD has something to do with that as well. The OS is very light and easy to install. If you feel a little more adventurous use Ubuntu, it is not as user friendly to Windows users. I have been very impressed with Linux Mint. It takes a little bit of learning but I may not ever buy a Windows OS again, unless I need it for work. Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon I would read the instructions on how to install Chrome after you get it installed and you should be good to go. Just thought I would throw an alternative out there, the 32 bit should work nicely on an older machine. :smile: It will be much easier to set up than windows with all the Service packs and updates and all the other hoops they want you to jump thru.

Have you tried using Windows Update rather than going to the Microsoft update page? I had to do the same thing just last week and it worked fine for me that way. Once I had installed the 124(!) security updates, it let me install IE8. Prior to that the machine was using IE6.

GC
This is what I used to do and it worked, takes a while though.

Top Bottom