I/NET Provider

What internet provider are you one...

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Virgin been with them years now but speeds have been a bit pants recently coupled with a crap digi box and could be lured away by that home hub thingy that BT do.

betty swollocks

large member
Been with BT for years and never had a problem. Pretty expensive though.
Am waiting for O2 to come my way: already have a phone deal with them and the whole package will then be a good deal cheaper.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
AOL - only working slightly better - still no Wiggle on IE or Firefox, unless you use AOL's browser......

Been OK the last two days out of the last 6 weeks ??????

It's a bit rubbish at the moment - server move - don't think about going to them just yet. I've only been with them since Xmas, and it was great - very fast, great torrent speeds, then fell to pieces at the end of January when they moved servers.......

NickM

Veteran
Post Office. Much faster than its predecessor (a local ISP), always online, cheaper, technical support always available if needed - and what's more you get to talk to a real, native-English-speaking person and (unlike Virgin, BT and Tiscali, all of whom were invited to tender) they keep their promises.

Oh, and I believe that the phone is free after 18:00 and at weekends, but I don't like the phone so that doesn't interest me.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Onyx Internet (north-east). Not cheap, but no problems at all in 5 yrs. Thinking of changing to summat cheaper, but wary of potential probs. Posted recently, got feedback from peeps, for which I belatedly thangyew.

ChrisKH

Guru
BT, but I'm totally ignorant on these things. I have a separate landline but the Broadband package includes some form of internet telephone link. Is it worth switching and using the broadband telephone connection. Does anyone have this? Is it any good?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Had NTL, then Virgin - switched from Virgin when they told us that staying with them after moving house (which I was quite prepared to do despite not being in a cabled area) would entail closing our account, starting a new one, and thus losing all our email addresses etc (the main reason I wanted to stay with them in the first place). Virgin's cable service was great - I particularly liked the catchup TV and the TV on demand features.

BT are ok - the stuff works, and is easy to set up. Customer service (when things go wrong) is pretty poor, in my experience, delivered by an overseas call centre for the most part who seem extremely anxious to get you off the phone. (NTL and Virgin's service was much better). BT are also very inflexible - I wanted to change our activated line, and was unable to without cancelling our contract (and paying the cancellation fee) and reconnecting. The upside is that the homehub is a nice piece of kit, is easy to set up, and the service is reliable.

U

User482

Talktalk - very cheap but a bit flakey at times.

barq

I'm with Virgin at the moment, I find the speeds good but have some reliability issues. On average a couple of days a month I loose my connection. I'm very internet dependent for my PhD and eBay shop, so being disconnected for (say) a weekend is not acceptable.

Now I have a backup... A phone from 3 which will work as a modem with a 1GB/month usage tariff. The coverage isn't great where I live so it is like using an ISDN line (rather than the advertised speeds), ok for web. Even my calendar is Google based so it really is a disaster if I get disconnected! Oh dear, what have I become?! ;)

Topletter
but I think I am the only one in the world on it as I have not seen anyone else with it on their email address.

It seems OK email down about 2 days per year, Not been elsewhere since broadband so not sure if that is good or not. £18 per month was good now seems to be not so good. Not sure what size or speed it is but it seems to cope with two PCs on it.

Top Bottom