I now wear glasses. I'm not impressed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Interestingly, children who wear glasses often have a rapid deterioration of their eyes in late teens, early twenties before sight loss/distortion levels level off and become much more gradual, sometimes even a slight spike and improvement before eventual decline.

This has been my experience. I've had glasses since I was about 5 or 6 and my eyes did deteriorate in my late teens and twenties but now at the age of forty my recent eye-test showed no change and there hasn't been any real change in my prescription for at least ten years. I did get new glasses purely because my old lens were scratched and the frames were a bit knackered and have the advantage of my employer paying a large chunk of the bill as I need them for VDU work. At least that's the theory, I've now spent six weeks and counting (and losing the will to live!) trying to submit the expenses form as each department I send it to say it should be sent somewhere else and every time I speak to the so-called HR department I get told a different method of how to submit the form....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You're holding one of them in your avatar.
That was when I was a whipper snapper.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Interestingly, children who wear glasses often have a rapid deterioration of their eyes in late teens, early twenties before sight loss/distortion levels level off and become much more gradual, sometimes even a slight spike and improvement before eventual decline.
On the other hand they (we) can see at a very important time of life for learning new things.

And i said,do both eyes go at the same time,or does one go first as a sort of warning.
4.Chris-Eubank.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
When last I got my eyes tested - having worn glasses for 25 years - the (far too young) optician said “You might find varifocals useful now”. I told her I was more than happy to take my glasses off to read and made a hasty retreat. She was right though.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 1 1/2 years old. My prescription is pretty bad, but I have never been that bothered about wearing glasses, I guess it is just normal for me as I have worn them from a young age.
A couple of years ago I was advised to get some varifocals and despite a few relatives hating them, I bit the bullet. Wow, what a difference! No more straining to read small writing.
The only issue I really have, is that as I have a strong prescription I found it hard to get wrap around sunglasses, so I have to suffer with an insert behind a pair of glasses for cycling which is not the greatest solution. I have been told that I could use contact lens, but I am not keen. MMaybe I should try them, even if it is just for cycling so I could use normal pair of glasses instead of the inserts?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
got my first readers about five years ago and was quietly chuffed that my time had come. I quite like the look of face furniture. One problem is my TV thing is on the cusp if my vision... being on the opposite side of the lounge from my sofa, it's slightly out of focus with or without them. And the small print on the back of DVDs or instructions/ingredients on foodstuffs is still too small so i need a magnifier to read those. and most annoyingly, when my phone alerts me to a text, I have a habit of removing my glasses before getting up and grabbing my phone, only to realise that i need glasses to read the text... but i put that down to being blonde.

I don’t care what they say it’s not the wearing it’s the opticians. I’m telling you there was nowt wrong with my eyes til them opticians looked at them. :laugh:
Me: perfect eyesight for 35 years, one started getting blurry when I was tired, mistake number 1: go to the opticians.
Apparently I have astigmatism. Now, 4 years later, it is blurry all the time. Bloody con merchants, I should have seen them coming.

Last edited:
Being typically awkward it turns out I need glasses for long distance, not close up.

Apparently my right eye is slightly off centre, little enough that you don't normally notice, and my brain can apparently correct for this, but having the glasses reduces the strain, especially hen I'm tired.

Unfortunately my brain can't correct for its own absent mindedness so I tend to either lose the glasses or forget I'm wearing them.

Top Bottom