I now wear glasses. I'm not impressed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
At the age of 45 (a year ago)I was advised to wear glasses. As soon as I did so with glasses on the world is much sharper again. After a while of wearing them my natural vision has weakened so much without them.
I wake in the morning and it seems ok, I put my glasses on and when i take them off again it's a pisser.

I think i'm getting a little old.

Thomson

My son is just over one and a half. He has to wear glasses also. He’s been wearing them since before he is one.

Dave7

Legendary Member
At the age of 45 (a year ago)I was advised to wear glasses. As soon as I did so with glasses on the world is much sharper again. After a while of wearing them my natural vision has weakened so much without them.
I wake in the morning and it seems ok, I put my glasses on and when i take them off again it's a pisser.

As I understand it (and I have been known to be wrong) wearing glasses does not cause your vision to weaken/alter.
I have worn them for 50 years.....no probs, its part of life

gbb

Legendary Member
As I understand it (and I have been known to be wrong) wearing glasses does not cause your vision to weaken/alter.
I have worn them for 50 years.....no probs, its part of life
I said this to an optician when I finally gave in and got mine...yebbut once you start, dont your eyes get lazy...and worse, I'd heard people say that.
No...the optician said your glasses have nothing to do with it, your eyes can continue to deteriorate...its just life. One reason they wont give you laser surgery unless theyre sure your eyes have stopped deteriorating.

Tbf, I only use mine for driving. That's around 10 to 15 years with only minimal use since I got them. They get tired and blurry sometimes, they're fine sometimes. All may not be lost yet Salty.

vickster

Legendary Member

Soon you won't be able to read with those glasses on...you'll need other ones once you find that taking them off still doesn't render you able read. That started happening to me at around 45..

Levo-Lon

Guru
Your eyes, brain adjust to the glasses, this can take a few days.
So when your not wearing them your brain is trying to re-adjust.

Been wearing them over 50 yr too, i did look into laser but £3700 was a pizz take., from £395 per eye:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I said this to an optician when I finally gave in and got mine...yebbut once you start, dont your eyes get lazy...and worse, I'd heard people say that.
No...the optician said your glasses have nothing to do with it, your eyes can continue to deteriorate...its just life. One reason they wont give you laser surgery unless theyre sure your eyes have stopped deteriorating.

Tbf, I only use mine for driving.
That's around 10 to 15 years with only minimal use since I got them. They get tired and blurry sometimes, they're fine sometimes. All may not be lost yet Salty.
Only use your eyes for driving?

Sharky

Guru

My take on that is that before wearing glasses, your eye muscles were straining to their limits to try and focus. Once you have glasses, the eye muscles no longer need to strain and can relax, but removing them and then it feels that your eyes have deteriated, but it's just a case of them not straining as you used to.

Julia9054

Guru
Been short sighted and worn glasses since I was eleven (should have been earlier but I used to get bored when we had our eyes tested at school and had memorised the sight chart by the time it was my turn to be tested)
Now my reading vision has also started to go and I need an extra large handbag to carry around all the pairs of glasses I now need!
Actually, I manage a lot of the time without my glasses - your eyes soon adjust

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

Just wait until you get to the stage where you spend half your life looking for the wretched things.:cry:

Top Bottom