I phone 8 for a 10 year olds Christmas prezzie ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When my kids wanted iPhones (they didn't have any sort of phone before secondary school), they decided to buy secondhand ones. I would have issues giving something so expensive to a child knowing how mine dropped their phones, had one stolen, one got water damaged when playing outside etc.

And if you start the trend at that age for having the latest phone then it's going to be an expensive few years going forward. One of my son's friends always had the latest phone (parent went and did those overnight queues to get the first ones), and his next birthday he will be 17. I'm assuming he will get a car but we won't be copying them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Anyone who spends £800 on a present for a child is an idiot. Period.

Even if you have say £25,000 a year disposable income, surely it is all relative.

My kids will get phones when they start walking to school by themselves. They will get my old phones which fir my eldest will be this iPhone 6 in a couple of years.

As for spending on kids, if you have money, you can still buy kids expensive things without spoiling them, it's a matter of teaching the child about the value of things. We have bought our kids expensive things. Because we can easily afford them. We have not bought them many things they think they want

But they are being taught the value of them. This can be done by making them work towards it, not getting everything and most importantly, making them wait.

I can easily see buying an iPhone 8 for a kid is spoiling them, but I can also see that it can be done properly.

Having money and spending on your family does not mean you will have spoilt kids. That is the sssumption of "an idiot". It just needs to be done carefully, as with everything else involving the upbringing of kids.

dodgy

This forum is becoming quite the secret club these days. What are you lot on about? There's probably a thread somewhere which explains what this is about?

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you not a fan of smartphones then? You've never mentioned that before.

As you know, I'm not for numerous reasons. I'm not against my kids having them, but not until their teens. I certainly won't be giving them to a child younger than that because of their deleterious effects on brain development and eyesight in then young.

And when I do, I certainly won't be spending more than a decent used car on one. No way I'm working into my sixties to fund that sort of avaricious lifestyle.

If that's cool with the OP then I'm cool with it too, its just not how I roll.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
the thing is , if you give them lego, then you know sooner or later your gonna stand on a piece in your bare feet, and it blo0dy hurts :cursing:damhikt
Lego slippers ^_^
anti-lego-slippers-brand-station-4.jpg

Yes but, that first horse sure was tasty :hungry:
You never forget your first.

classic33

Leg End Member
When my kids wanted iPhones (they didn't have any sort of phone before secondary school), they decided to buy secondhand ones. I would have issues giving something so expensive to a child knowing how mine dropped their phones, had one stolen, one got water damaged when playing outside etc.

And if you start the trend at that age for having the latest phone then it's going to be an expensive few years going forward. One of my son's friends always had the latest phone (parent went and did those overnight queues to get the first ones), and his next birthday he will be 17. I'm assuming he will get a car but we won't be copying them.
I know someone who got a Ferrari keyfob and keys, leaving the car on the drive for their 18 year old.

Car was a 1/10th R/C scale model.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
This thread is horrible. Do you really feel entitled to make sweeping judgements about the parenting of strangers based on a fragment of overheard dialogue?
Nothing overheard of fragmented about it . Ive also known the family for many years . Things are done to look good , not what they can afford .

Top Bottom