I pity the children...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
downfader said:
went to Winchester last week on sunday to climb the hill. ;) St Catherines is it? Did it on foot obviously. Then had a mooch about in the shops with me Bro and his mate. Saw a guy with a fixie and said how cool they must be to ride around somewhere like that.

Winchester seems a little smaller than Southampton, and I feel here is quite ideal for cycling tbh

There will be one more cyclist in Winchester from next week. I can guarantee he'll only be riding on the pavement and through parks and all that. Mind you, he's only 2.

I deliver the Islabike on Monday!:smile:

Here in York a lot of people do cycle, so not so many people express amazement - but then I only really hang out with and work with people who are clued up anyway. Actually, my downstairs neighbour does often seem impressed with relatively short rides - she has a bike, but I think she only uses it for very local trips (probably under a mile) - TBH, anything that short within town, I'd probably not even bother to get the bike out, but walk. And she doesn't have a car, so she's not welded to driving. Thinking about it, she's just one of those people who is amazed at, or impressed by, lots of stuff.

PBancroft

downfader said:
went to Winchester last week on sunday to climb the hill. :rolleyes: St Catherines is it? Did it on foot obviously.

A friend of mine cycled up it, then back down it about ten years back.

It was... messy. Probably still have the video somewhere (yes, I filmed it).

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Kaipaith said:
A friend of mine cycled up it, then back down it about ten years back.

It was... messy. Probably still have the video somewhere (yes, I filmed it).

Was it a proper face-plant? :ohmy: Dont stick it on youtube, people leave all kinds of odd comments. ;)

PBancroft

downfader said:
Was it a proper face-plant? :ohmy: Dont stick it on youtube, people leave all kinds of odd comments. :ohmy:

I was doing a tracking shot of him passing through a particularly tight bend. The shot followed his expected trajectory, but he didn't appear at the other end. I scanned back and he was wrapped around the tree to my side.

:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Arch said:
There will be one more cyclist in Winchester from next week. I can guarantee he'll only be riding on the pavement and through parks and all that. Mind you, he's only 2.

I deliver the Islabike on Monday!:rolleyes:

Yeay. If I see a 2yo on a spangly islabike I'll be sure to wave. He better wave back, or has he already learned roadie aloofness?:boxing::ohmy:

Winchester could be a great place to cycle but the overcrowded road system (modern traffic levels in a medieval city = recipe for success), combined with the slopes and bumps make it quite hard work. Mr Kaipaith of this parish has informed me that the proposed shared space changes may go ahead. It's a really great place to walk around though.

Arch....

I've just realised that you asked me a question in that tandem thread and I failed to reply. My bad! Yes, I've the yellow kiddieback. Its not seen much use this year as the ever cautious Bolletta finally managed to learn to ride her bike (islabike beinn 20, lovely bike, you approve?). We're planning dust the tandem down in the coming weeks for some Autumnal trips.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bollo said:
Yeay. If I see a 2yo on a spangly islabike I'll be sure to wave. He better wave back, or has he already learned roadie aloofness?;);)

Winchester could be a great place to cycle but the overcrowded road system (modern traffic levels in a medieval city = recipe for success), combined with the slopes and bumps make it quite hard work. Mr Kaipaith of this parish has informed me that the proposed shared space changes may go ahead. It's a really great place to walk around though.

Arch....

I've just realised that you asked me a question in that tandem thread and I failed to reply. My bad! Yes, I've the yellow kiddieback. Its not seen much use this year as the ever cautious Bolletta finally managed to learn to ride her bike (islabike beinn 20, lovely bike, you approve?). We're planning dust the tandem down in the coming weeks for some Autumnal trips.

I'll prime my sister so that she doesn't think you're a random wierdo! And yes, I approve, I'm hoping to Islabike Oli until he's up to adult size! Well done to Bolletta! I think you live near my sister, so keep an eye out on Oram's Arbour!

I like Winchester, it's similar to York in many ways, just a bit hillier, which I guess puts people off cycling. Just the thought of riding up from the station to my sister's brings me out in a sweat.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Arch said:
I'll prime my sister so that she doesn't think you're a random wierdo!
I'd hold off on that warning.:biggrin:

And yes, I approve, I'm hoping to Islabike Oli until he's up to adult size! Well done to Bolletta!
The islabikes certainly cost a few bob, but they're very nice and probably have a decent resale, as I may be finding out next summer.

I think you live near my sister, so keep an eye out on Oram's Arbour!
I like Winchester, it's similar to York in many ways, just a bit hillier, which I guess puts people off cycling. Just the thought of riding up from the station to my sister's brings me out in a sweat.

The hills aren't an encouragement, but I'd say the road situation is the main drawback. From that description I'm probably not that far away at all. And I have to do the hill up from the station every day. Its definitely not one to do in the suit and tie (or a fixie for that matter). :cry:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kaipaith said:

Thanks for that Mr K!

To make the plan for Jewry Place more realistic, they should have about 20 times as many cars though. And at least 20% should be Porsches. And at least one Maserati. :biggrin:

I also thought the George St plan had been kicked into touch because it wasn't wide enough. In many ways this would be the biggest pity, as its just a bit of a fume-choked wilderness at the mo'.

Top Bottom