'I punched a Goldfish' and other strange things you have done today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I viewed someone's house yesterday and tried to hide from the neighbour over the road (long story)!
Did he catch you with your binoculars peeping out from behind your net curtains?

Spare me your "long story"....:rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But high voltage isn' necessarily a problem (a static shock is thousands of volts), it's high current that kills.

"Volts that jolts, amps that kill"

yebbut we've had this one before. What about ohm's law V=IR? Thus high volts means high current.

Sorry for being picky /serious

TVC

yebbut we've had this one before. What about ohm's law V=IR? Thus high volts means high current.

Yep, it's total power W=IV (dc system) that does harm, so it's true that static charge can have a very high potential, the current is very small. In the same way that 240V can kill if you provide a low enough resistance path and there is a high current available, say if there was a capacitive element to the circuit

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yep, it's total power W=IV (dc system) that does harm, so it's true that static charge can have a very high potential, the current is very small. In the same way that 240V can kill if you provide a low enough resistance path and there is a high current available, say if there was a capacitive element to the circuit

so how can you have a high voltage and low current (given a certain constant resistance)?

Not if resistance is high. It's also a factor of how long. A static shock is thousand if volts and its scarcely a tingle. A car battery at 12v can kill you.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Makes sense and would have been my guess too.

So, the "it's not the volts it's the amps" thing is wrong, just as I said, it is in fact the available coulombs

TVC

Wot Markymark said.

Think of current as how much water you have to flow through a pipe, and volts as how much pressure you have pushing it. Resistance is then the diameter of the pipe.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wot Markymark said.

Think of current as how much water you have to flow through a pipe, and volts as how much pressure you have pushing it. Resistance is then the diameter of the pipe.

Well yes, I did do physics..
.. my point was taking issue with "it's not the volts that kills you, it's the current" which is more or less nonsense

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Spare me your "long story"....:rolleyes:

MIAOW!

Ok, you asked for it!

..... My parents were viewing a house and l went along out of curiosity. The short story is that it turns out that it is opposite a guy I 'know', and who I have been trying to avoid as he has caused me to.... Err.... Go to the 'cinic'. :blush::laugh:
I think he saw me as I left.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
MIAOW!

Ok, you asked for it!

..... My parents were viewing a house and l went along out of curiosity. The short story is that it turns out that it is opposite a guy I 'know', and who I have been trying to avoid as he has caused me to.... Err.... Go to the 'cinic'. :blush::laugh:
I think he saw me as I left.

Finally, someone using "know" properly, in the biblical sense.

Top Bottom