'I punched a Goldfish' and other strange things you have done today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I assembled a thing, then put 200,000V DC across it to see if it would blow up. It didn't.

There is only one way to play with 200,000 Volts and that is very, very carefully.
I went for an interview at the then Lanchester Poly in Coventry in 1974. I remember being shown round a rather scary basement in which lots of transformers were humming away. There was a big Faraday cage inside which a large ceramic insulator stack was hanging. The kind of thing that high voltage cables hang from under pylons. In fact, those humming transformers were supplying very high voltages to cables hanging from the insulator.

The lecturer giving us the guided tour had a rather impish grin on his face when he asked me to press a button which caused brine to be sprayed over the insulator. The resultant miniature lightning bolt which arced over the insulator made me and the other would-be electrical engineering students leap 3 feet into the air in terror!

I made a mental note to stick to studying electronics and to leave the high voltage stuff to people of a less nervous disposition! :laugh:

TVC

I went for an interview at the then Lanchester Poly in Coventry in 1974. I remember being shown round a rather scary basement in which lots of transformers were humming away. There was a big Faraday cage inside which a large ceramic insulator stack was hanging. The kind of thing that high voltage cables hang from under pylons. In fact, those humming transformers were supplying very high voltages to cables hanging from the insulator.

The lecturer giving us the guided tour had a rather impish grin on his face when he asked me to press a button which caused brine to be sprayed over the insulator. The resultant miniature lightning bolt which arced over the insulator made me and the other would-be electrical engineering students leap 3 feet into the air in terror!

I made a mental note to stick to studying electronics and to leave the high voltage stuff to people of a less nervous disposition! :laugh:
It is fun. Our Rail and HV infrastructure transformers have to be lightning and short circuit tested. This means going to a test house where they are shown a couple of million volts impulse. The control room is in a bunker and the viewing window is a two inches thick toughened glass.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I will resistor laugh at that.

And I will re fuse to respond

I was LED to believe you could do better than that.

Stop conducting these awful jokes, it Hertz!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Not odd or anything, but I have to start up a charity (you heard that right) for a group I'm involved with to restore the old Glasgow Blue Train at Summerlee.

Been looking at the OSCR website today for stuff things

Top Bottom