I ran a red light...

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

... kind of.

I had stopped at these lights here

EwFuw.jpg

Note that these lights you see for cars who come from the right side

ihxfV.png

I saw that the lights went green, started pedalling and was about to cross the junction when two cars came from the right. 'Did they just go through a red light?', I thought. But no, I turned around and about eight cars were sitting behind the lights. I looked up to my right, still red.

I gave the driver behind me an 'Oops' hand gesture and moved back a tiny bit. He gave me a wave as he drove by.

All in all, the sun is annoying, even when you're wearing sunglasses. excuses, excuses. :whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Don't worry about it, I ran one the other morning too, was sat at the red for at least 3 minutes, probably more, it wasn't changing despite the other 3 sets of lights on the system around it changing several times and next to no traffic, so after a good while of standing waiting, twiddling my thumbs and getting weird looks from passers by (probably shocked I was stopped at a red and thinking "why is this guy just stood waiting on the road when there is no traffic") I thought "f*ck this" and went!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Don't worry about it, I ran one the other morning too, was sat at the red for at least 3 minutes, probably more, it wasn't changing despite the other 3 sets of lights on the system around it changing several times and next to no traffic, so after a good while of standing waiting, twiddling my thumbs and getting weird looks from passers by (probably shocked I was stopped at a red and thinking "why is this guy just stood waiting on the road when there is no traffic") I thought "f*ck this" and went!

Traffic light sensors can be pretty annoying. Luckily the ones around here have the camera type things on top that detect when someone's there, usually flailing your arms like a madman detects you.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I hate that section of road. I'd always go up through the cross to avoid it

It's pretty confusing. This is my second time cycling through it, being in the middle lane means that you'll be in the outer lane when you go past Morrisons and you have to cut over three lanes to get to the cycle lane.

sidevalve

Über Member
I assume you had a set of lights at your side of the junction still at red while the far side showed green. This is called "read through" and should be adressed by the council fitting louvres or poss long hoods to the greens on the far side lights to prevent them being seen from this side of the junction. This appears to be an accident waiting to happen and you should make a complaint. After all even if you stop in future there is no certainty that you wont be ploughed into by a car doing exactly the same as you did.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a junction where I fall for that occasionally, and the lights by the bus go green before the lights I'm waiting at:
I usually remember now ... but it's not a junction I go through on a daily basis.

Top Bottom