I really don't like how modern road bikes are decorated/painted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I especially dislike how deep rims are always always always covered in writing bearing the name or model of the wheel. The trend is continued on the frames of most makes of bike these days with road bikes being the very worst culprits.
In my very humble opinion the trend for writing all over the bike and putting as many go faster stripes on really detracts from the form of the bike, which in a lot of cases can be quite stunning especially with the weird and wonderful forms that are produced in carbon these days.
I know that this sounds like such an old fogey thing to be saying but I can't be alone in this. It just seems so gauche and gaudy and the equivalent of wearing clothes that are emblasoned with the makers name in huge writing with arbitrary graphics to emphasise it.
I have nothing against bikes being colourful or bright but there is just way too much emphasis on the writing and the go faster stripes. I really hope that the trend has reached saturation point and makers see the benefits of going in a different direction with their graphics, if for no other reason than to make them stand out from the rest so ubiquitous is this fad.
Or is it just me?

Loathed as I am to say I think the fixie community have got the right attitude to the deeper rims. They always seem to have very little or no writing on them and look the better for it. There, I said it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I agree!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think the same. Too much stupid lettering for the sake of it. Why put 'High Modulus Carbon Fibre' stickered up and down the seat stays ? Some of the Italian bikes are the worse for stupid lettering. One, cant remember basically says 'internal routed cables' - whoop de doo !

PS Stealth bikes are very popular at the moment, so you have two trends, IN YOUR FACE, and stealthy.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I always pull the Zipp stickers off my carbon wheels as the stickers have no purpose and increase weight.
My Bikes all are sticker less but remain quite colourful based on the manufacture markings.... im not sure if my Venge is considered tasteful based on this thread though :dry:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Have you ever thought that manufacturers are clever buggers? By putting all sorts of writing all over the bike, you are doing the advertising for them for free!
Having said that, I quite like it. I think it gives the bike some personality.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The frame I used for my single speed commuter was a bit gaudy, but gaffa tape hides many graphic design sins.

uploadfromtaptalk1348832452487.jpg

'Ready to Race' on some Cube's always makes my teeth itch when I see it, no need :ninja:

This was one of the deciding reasons I now have the bikes I have :thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you ever thought that manufacturers are clever buggers? By putting all sorts of writing all over the bike, you are doing the advertising for them for free!
That can work against them!
It can be difficult, at times impossible, but I always seek alternatives to products carrying advertising. I have been known to remove or cover up labelling unless the product had been presented to me free of charge in which case I feel adequately compensated for carrying the advertising.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't mind the brand name being on stuff, but for example I have seen a Colnago that had the brand name on the frame like 11 times per side of the frame or something daft like that, just makes me go, WTF!

ayceejay

Guru
I'm with you cycloP. There was a time when you couldn't buy a jersey or shorts without it being covered with lettering, whereas those retro jerseys with Fiat or Bianchi written across the front once are cool again I have no desire to resemble a billboard. Being just a tad cynical here but do you think deep rims are really faster or just a larger surface to put lettering on?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The problem I have with the completely stealth look is that unless its a frame which is instantly recognizable such as a Venge of some Cervelo frame many look like they are frames of Chinese from alibaba... I think branding in limited quantity's is a good things

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm with you cycloP. There was a time when you couldn't buy a jersey or shorts without it being covered with lettering, whereas those retro jerseys with Fiat or Bianchi written across the front once are cool again I have no desire to resemble a billboard. Being just a tad cynical here but do you think deep rims are really faster or just a larger surface to put lettering on?

If used in the right situation, yes!

Top Bottom