I really don't like how modern road bikes are decorated/painted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who needs to know what your bike is?
+1. I know what my Cannondale is, and those who know do as well.

Whether anyone else does is of no concern TBH.

GrasB

Veteran
Being just a tad cynical here but do you think deep rims are really faster or just a larger surface to put lettering on?
Chinese carbon 50mm with single butted spokes v's Planet X AL30 with bladed spokes. Aerodynamic drag reduction around 7w at around 20mph or about 2s/mile gain on the flat.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
I went for the stealth Matt look

3BAE902E-031E-45AC-8458-3E5D4D69D9F2-4917-000004520540B7D8_zps73055156.jpg

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Yes, but so what.

Who needs to know what your bike is?

Nobody needs to know what my bike is but I personally like knowing what a bike is when I pass it, or it passes me. Perhaps others feel the same.... The OP stated a preference for stealth bikes and, although I like stealth-ish it is within reason I still like branding on the frame... Just my preference

400bhp

Guru
Chinese carbon 50mm with single butted spokes v's Planet X AL30 with bladed spokes. Aerodynamic drag reduction around 7w at around 20mph or about 2s/mile gain on the flat.

so, bollox then for the ordinary cyclist.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
This is about as Stealthy as I like, still has branding for the bike but is understated and super cool imho, this is a stunning bike

IMG_6194.jpg

400bhp

Guru
In terms of speed increase for a given output or power usage for a given speed? 7w is about 4.5% of the power I need to produce at 20mph.This is why gains need to be expressed in time & power.

Like I said, bollox to the average cyclist.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Have you ever thought that manufacturers are clever buggers? By putting all sorts of writing all over the bike, you are doing the advertising for them for free!
Having said that, I quite like it. I think it gives the bike some personality.
Oh this has certainly occurred to me which makes me dislike it all the more. Just like with clothes.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
They always seem to have very little or no writing on them and look the better for it. There, I said it.

Whilst I agree with everything you say here I actually find that modern bikes do look a lot prettier than they did some 5 years ago. rewind 20 years and some of the older frames have a simplistic beauty of their own but I do see how all the bling has an appeal.

When you search for a bike to buy (as a newcommer) its very tempting to see the latest cube (or whatever) with all its stickers & branded aero rims and think "wow, that's a smashing looking beast"...but when you get it home and out on the road it feels slightly overdressed and fussy.

thing is, by then Cube have already made the sale.

So perhaps they have it right, after all the sales figure must drive the designs.

Top Bottom