I really wanted to cycle to work but find it too dangerous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binman

A bit of back story. I've been driving the 4 and 1/2 miles to work from Weston to Shirley in Southampton for the past 5 weeks after my car broke down and needed to get to work. I tried to get the bus but they were pretty awful with their time, and often didnt run during the times I needed to get to work on the late shift. It was also bloody expensive.

A friend said "get a bike, its cheap" so luckily a relative lent me theirs as they dont use it. I now realise why. Just this morning alone I have been cut up, driven at, sworn at, nearly scraped... I just cant do this anymore. I dont know how you guys manage?

I may be a big strong man but I look at this now and think this just isnt worth it. It isnt worth the risk to my life. I tried to mention this to work colleagues and family but when I do all they do is start complaining that cyclists run red lights. I dont. I've seen a couple, sure, but is that a reason for someone to put my life at risk?

Add into that its someone elses property I'm using means I've handed it back tonight. Sorry for this being my first post but I had to get that off my chest. The car is being replaced in a couple of weeks after I've saved up enough or can get a loan but for now I'm taking the bus half way and walking the rest.

Drago

Legendary Member
Being incredibly lazy and driving a piddling 4.5 miles to work is far more likely to kill you than cycling. That's not made up, that's true.

Assuming you're able bodied you should be ashamed of yourself driving a journey like that - you've made yourself part of the problem.

And stuff what your work chums think. They're probably lazy types too, so why should anything they say be worthy of note? Are you a man or a mouse? Stuff what anyone thinks, its none of their business.

You're gobbing resources, polluting my air, contributing to congestion, contributing to the 'danger' yourself. Its that "better one of them" attitude that perpetuates gun violence in the states, and the attitude of lazy, inconsiderate, short sighted (morally, not literally) motorists are having the same effect in vehicular violence here.

Please don't tell us you drive a diesel daily on a short journey like that...?

Last edited:
Four and a half miles should be an ideal, easy cycle commute and probably the quickest choice through the middle of town, it's a shame you've been put off. I ride to various locations around Southampton for work and whilst some bits are pretty crap, it's all doable. If you're not a very experienced rider, a bit of training could make all the difference.

OP
OP
B

Binman

Being incredibly lazy and driving a piddling 4.5 miles to work is far more likely to kill you than cycling. That's not made up, that's true.

Assuming you're able bodied you should be ashamed of yourself driving a journey like that - you've made yourself part of the problem.

And stuff what your work chums think. They're probably lazy types too, so why should anything they say be worthy of note? Are you a man or a mouse? Stuff what anyone thinks, its none of their business.

You're gobbing resources, polluting my air, contributing to congestion, contributing to the 'danger' yourself. Its that "better one of them" attitude that perpetuates gun violence in the states, and the attitude of lazy, inconsiderate, short sighted (morally, not literally) motorists are having the same effect in vehicular violence here.

Ashamed? Everyone here drives. It was kind of put to me that I should be ashamed for using the bike to be honest.

I dont really care what they think, I care for my safety. That I possibly wont make it back one evening to see my kids. I had hoped for a more sympathetic response but perhaps your reply is indicative of why I got the reactions I got?

Tommy2

Über Member
I agree with Dave, it may be likely that as you are new to cycle commuting you are unintentionally giving off a submissive vibe and riding in a sheepish manor that will 'invite' drivers to take risks and abuse you.
With a bit of training and experience you'll likely give off a more assertive vibe and feel a lot more comfortable on the road.
Don't give up on it, even if you decide not to cycle everyday doing so once or twice a week would have a positive effect on you wallet and your health.

AndyRM

XOXO

Don't hold back, eh? ;)

There is an element of truth in what he's saying.

There may be someone in your neck of the woods who could help you with a quieter route while you're building confidence on two wheels?

Shaun

Founder

Assassinating a new member's character - what a lovely welcome that is. :rolleyes: Lazy, air polluter of a mouse, eh! I don't think we need any more contributions from Drago on this thread.

@Binman if you haven't cycled on busy roads in a long time and you're on a borrowed bike that is possibly not set-up to fit you comfortably, you might find the experience unnreving or intimidating. It gets better as you become more used to it, more confident in your road positioning, and fitter.

I wouldn't write off cycling based on the short commuter experience you've had - get yourself a bike and get out a few evenings in the summer months to build your fitness, experience and confidence and you might feel more like tackling the commute.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

AndyRM

XOXO
Can you let me have point A and point B as I know Southampton quite well and I'll find you a route if you like.

There we go!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The offers to help with routes are probably the key. Lots of people make the mistake of trying to cycle the same route they'd drive but this country isn't set up like that yet - it's only the last few years that some places have been making major routes cycle friendly. The pictures I remember seeing of Southampton... well, they're not one of them. What cycling junction rebuilds they have attempted looked rather odd.

Last edited:
If you're interested in some practical training, i.e actually riding your route to work with you, let me know. I'm a qualified instructor and know a couple of others who live either end of your commute. Also, as Shaun said, getting a bit faster and being able to stay with the flow of city centre traffic can actually make an urban commute quite fun.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
A bit of back story. I've been driving the 4 and 1/2 miles to work from Weston to Shirley in Southampton for the past 5 weeks after my car broke down and needed to get to work. I tried to get the bus but they were pretty awful with their time, and often didnt run during the times I needed to get to work on the late shift. It was also bloody expensive.

A friend said "get a bike, its cheap" so luckily a relative lent me theirs as they dont use it. I now realise why. Just this morning alone I have been cut up, driven at, sworn at, nearly scraped... I just cant do this anymore. I dont know how you guys manage?

I may be a big strong man but I look at this now and think this just isnt worth it. It isnt worth the risk to my life. I tried to mention this to work colleagues and family but when I do all they do is start complaining that cyclists run red lights. I dont. I've seen a couple, sure, but is that a reason for someone to put my life at risk?

Add into that its someone elses property I'm using means I've handed it back tonight. Sorry for this being my first post but I had to get that off my chest. The car is being replaced in a couple of weeks after I've saved up enough or can get a loan but for now I'm taking the bus half way and walking the rest.
I understand your fears, but I would urge you not to give up. Give it time to build confidence. Cycling isn't without its risks, but as you gain experience you learn how to cycle safely and minimize those risks. I've clocked up over 10,000 miles in my cycling time, and the only harm I've ever come to is a few scratches. It's really not as dangerous as you are thinking it is, you are just new to the whole thing. Maybe you are not cycling the best route to work either. You should find a friend who is an experienced cyclist and go out with him a few times. Once fitness levels build up and you have a decent bike, you'll find you can keep up with the traffic.
Having said all that, cycling isn't for everybody and I do understand why you've been put off.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ashamed? Everyone here drives. It was kind of put to me that I should be ashamed for using the bike to be honest.

I dont really care what they think, I care for my safety. That I possibly wont make it back one evening to see my kids. I had hoped for a more sympathetic response but perhaps your reply is indicative of why I got the reactions I got?
Don't drive, never have done. I've been told I should be ashamed I can't drive. Why? Everyone else can drive.

I've the choice over the years of two feet, two or more wheels, or public transport. You've found the same problem with public transport I did. Doesn't always go where or when you want it. Not cheap either. I did the daily, to Leeds city centre on two wheels in less time than public transport. Tour de Yorkshire will be using some of those roads

Cycling on the roads isn't as dangerous as you may have been lead to believe. Just like any form of road transport, there's pluses and minuses.
Plus for you is that on the late shift, you'll have your own transport. The roads will be quieter.

There's that freedom you'll never get from inside or on a motor vehicle.

Last edited:

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
Hi Binman
Sorry that you've had such an off-putting introduction to cycling. Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but have you considered that the route that you use to drive to work may well be different to your optimum cycling route? A bike can get you off the main roads, which are designed mainly for the motor vehicle, and take you through quiet streets that may have too many twists and turns for easy driving. A bike can take you through more pleasant areas where you can start the day off with some gentle exercise, or unwind after the day's work. The route may be a bit longer (although at certain times it could be quicker), but the mental and physical health benefits can be huge. Maybe you could plan a route from this map (downloaded from https://myjourneysouthampton.com/cycle/where-can-i-ride-southampton) There'a also a journey planner on the site which allows you to plan your own cycle route through the town.
Hope you don't entirely give up the idea of cycling - good luck!

Attachments

• Southampton Cycle Map 2012-13.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Top Bottom