I really wanted to cycle to work but find it too dangerous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debade

Über Member
I feel terrible about your bicycling concerns. I am writing from the States but have been to the UK on bike and found it to be very similar to here. Perhaps even safer.

For some reason, most people do not think there is a learning curve for safe bicycling. It was great that others have suggested providing the safest routes. It is where you should always start a ride. It is unfortunate that a cyclist often has to select different roads than motorists. But, until you move to Copehagen or similar city which provides bike lanes, you will need to do that.

The other thing you should do is take the time to learn the best methods for defensive and offensive on-road bicycling. Another poster, trained to train others, offered to give some guidance. I would definitely taken him up on that offer. It is very generous as he likely spent at least a day and likely longer in the training program. He might have more relevant local information but in my experience, much of what I attached here will be helpful. (can't remember if sharrows are used there. If not, just ignore. Remember, you ride on the other side of the road but the approach is the same.)

I sometimes liken a first bicycle ride on the street to a new motorist merging on the expressway. It is nerve racking. How do you know if the other drivers will provide room? When is it best to accelerate? etc , etc Give it a few tries and it eventually becomes fairly easy.

Your biking experience will ultimately become easy too. And, it will be a great part of your day. Moving at human speed will make a big difference in your life in terms of health, interacting with people and simply seeing the world. I hope you take the time to educate yourself and give it another go.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Binman I am not sure you will be back after that welcome, but if you do try and get hold of a copy of this book, it is a great introduction to inform you how to maximise your safety on the road.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Cyclecraft-complete-enjoyable-cycling-children/0117037400

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know Southampton so I can't offer any advice other than talk to locals who will know the best routes and roads to avoid.

But I can remember starting to cycle in my city. I did find it very intimidating to start with, basically I only rode on the quiet roads, and either walked or cycled on the pavement (walking pace) each time I got to a road that scared me. Gradually my confidence started to rise and the number of roads that I classed as too hairy to cycle on diminished.

I can cycle throughout the city, but I still quite often choose back street routes just because there is less traffic noise and fumes. Try exploring the route, taking backroads if it helps.

As for colleagues saying cyclists go through red traffic lights.... so do cars, but in both cases the majority don't. Most things that cyclists get accused of, car drivers have also been guilty of, just they overlook those.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Binman i stopped commuting via roads about 2 years ago , because in 2 days i saw two other cyclists laying on the floor after collisions with cars all within 300 yards of home .

since then i have done 85% of my commutes on cycle paths

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Being incredibly lazy and driving a piddling 4.5 miles to work is far more likely to kill you than cycling. That's not made up, that's true.

No, it's a statistic and like any generalisation, is an average and isn't necessarily applicable to any given instance.

Unless you're suggesting that no route is more dangerous than any other, and everyone's health is identical.

Jimidh

Veteran
I can't add anything to the good advice already given other than don't give up after one bad experience.

As a part time bike commuter I hate the days I have to take my car and love the ones when I can take my bike.

I feel better, have more energy when I get into work and it saves me money that I can spend on bike stuff.

tobykenobi

Über Member
Agree with all the comments about not having a go at a new member just because he is - understandably - starting a new commute and not used to riding on the road.

Years ago when I lived in a different part of the country I drove 9 miles to and from work. I thought I'd cycle it occasionally. I cycled the same way I drove which involved a very fast dual carriageway which ended abruptly at a roundabout. Scared the crap out of me. Then discovered another route, not really any longer, that got me to work. Drivers wouldn't use it as it was slow compared to the dual carriageway.

Ended up cycling everyday, loving it, and we went from a 2 car to a 1 car family. Was the fittest I've ever been.

rugby bloke

Veteran
@Binman
Good Morning and welcome aboard. Sorry to hear that you initial experience was so traumatic. My advise would be - stick with it, it does get easier as you gain more confidence. I found my self as a bike commuter through a couple of changes in circumstance and initially the very thought of it was daunting as I could not imagine riding the roads from my home to my destination. As has already been said, the key is finding the quite roads / cycle tracks. The route I eventually found was completely different because I had been looking at the problem as a driver, not a cyclist. The route took in cycle paths, housing estates and a couple of parks and was both safe and enjoyable. Over time I grew more confident and was more happy mixing it on the busy roads. I now work in central London and cycle from St Pancras station to my office, which is something that would have been beyond terrifying a few years a go.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I sympathise entirely. I used to commute but the fact that I really dislike doing it eventually got the better of me (plus an unsympathetic employer making bike storage hard). So I stopped. I felt mildly guilty, and I may start again sometime.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I feel like there should be good well marked cycle routes radiating about 5 miles from any given city. It's nuts that, even if only in good weather, the canal paths are not a medium paced caravan of gears and clicks.
I hate my car. Resent it, but it serves its purpose, aside from being my primary pocket hole.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi Binman, I know Southampton a little (I am more a Pompey lad) - uh oh!!!!

Anyways, can you tell me where you are cycling to and from.

Southampton has some really busy sections and as an experienced rider I found it quite intimidating last time I cycled through.

cheers

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A bit of back story. I've been driving the 4 and 1/2 miles to work from Weston to Shirley in Southampton for the past 5 weeks after my car broke down and needed to get to work. I tried to get the bus but they were pretty awful with their time, and often didnt run during the times I needed to get to work on the late shift. It was also bloody expensive.

A friend said "get a bike, its cheap" so luckily a relative lent me theirs as they dont use it. I now realise why. Just this morning alone I have been cut up, driven at, sworn at, nearly scraped... I just cant do this anymore. I dont know how you guys manage?

I may be a big strong man but I look at this now and think this just isnt worth it. It isnt worth the risk to my life. I tried to mention this to work colleagues and family but when I do all they do is start complaining that cyclists run red lights. I dont. I've seen a couple, sure, but is that a reason for someone to put my life at risk?

Add into that its someone elses property I'm using means I've handed it back tonight. Sorry for this being my first post but I had to get that off my chest. The car is being replaced in a couple of weeks after I've saved up enough or can get a loan but for now I'm taking the bus half way and walking the rest.
I would say the thing to focus on is that its not incredibly dangerous.

You just feel that it is.

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it takes time, sometimes confidence that often comes in time and sometimes we are part of the issue in the way we ride, position, communicate with road users (my pet issue to be honest).

Is there a more seasoned rider you can tag along with to see how they get on and find out if there are any tips you can pick up.

I suspect that, if you are having so many issues over such a short distance, that you need to look at yourself as much as others. The way you ride, may be part of the problem. Its worth being objective to find out as riding through town is one of my favourite pastimes...i even ride into town at weekends for fun, Its not about adrenaline or buzz or any rat race crap its about about movement, freedom to stop, to travel, make progress, communicate...and the amazing sights
Dont give the bike back.or better still buy a cheap one of your own and use the cycle chat team to pick up hints on riding style, position, strategy.

Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to cyclechat

Last edited:

Big T

Guru
I've commuted by bike all of my adult life, coming up to 40 years now. The secret is to find a back roads quiet route that keeps you off the main roads and utilise cycle paths and bus lanes if they help you out.

My current commute Is 8.5 miles and I can do it in 35 mins. Commuting by car takes the same amount of time including parking up and walking to the office. My route includes cycle paths, a bit of unmade road and a couple of miles through a country park. I don't hit any traffic until I'm half a mile from my office.

if you are riding on the road, be assertive, take the lane and don't ride in the gutter, but be prepared for a bit of give and take with motorists.

Ooh, and in my 43 years of cycling, I've only been knocked off twice in about 180,000 miles. Neither was serious.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
@Binman

Remember when you first passed your driving test and for the first month or two you generally dithered and got in everyone's way. Then after a while you got the hang of road positioning and it all became easy and second nature?

This is exactly the same on a bike, difference being most motorists are less understanding because they were learners once but don't ride a bike.

Most of the problems you describe sound like you just don't have your road positioning quite right yet, so cars are trying to squeeze past you or don't understand where you are trying to go. The key thing here is understanding the difference between primary and secondary positions and taking primary when you want to prevent passes. It can be intimidating at first to cycle in the middle of the lane but I actually find drivers appreciate the clarity.

Unfortunately aggressive driving is a (normally rare) encounter in cycling just as it is whilst driving. But it isn't an inevitably frequent part, I cycle over 200km a week and perhaps get one or two aggressive drivers in that time.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to continue cycling, and do have to share roads with other traffic, reading Cyclecraft by John Franklin could provide you with really helpful insight around road positioning especially.
Also, look back at the relevant parts of the highway code (if not just for ammunition against ignorant driver colleagues ;) )

Yes, there are risks to cycling (having been knocked off myself) but so too are there driving, walking, taking the bus...actually just living is quite risky from time to time (and certainly living in an house if you look at ROSPA data!)

Top Bottom