I really wanted to cycle to work but find it too dangerous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Being out on the road during commuting hours for the first time can be a nerve wracking experience - you're just not used to being in the road, instead of on the pavement or in a car.
I do wonder about this. I grew up in a medium-sized village. We played on the roads, moving aside when cars wanted to drive through. There were pavements in most of the village but to walk anywhere other than the nearest city boundary meant walking over fields (summer only) or along country lanes. I spent time in my grandparents' home village, which was similar but even smaller and without the pavement to the city. We were probably used to being in the road.

The village where I now live is smaller than where I grew up. I cycle through other villages on my way to/from various appointments. There are so few children playing in the streets that it's remarkable when I do see any - so much so that I remember where I last saw two children playing 12 days ago :sad: I don't know if it's fear of stranger danger or fear of motorists, but I wonder if cautious parents of the last few decades have done far more harm to their children than anyone realised, discouraging active lifestyles.</old-idiot-theories>

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Give it a few weeks and you'll settle in - plus your mates will think your some sort of superhero/god for a short pootle on the bike everyday. :smile:
This - it is one of the pleasures of commuting by bike that you can tell people you travelled in from X and they will exclaim "You cycle in from X!?" as if no-one could possibly contemplate travelling such a marathon journey without support from NASA.

I don't know if it's fear of stranger danger or fear of motorists, but I wonder if cautious parents of the last few decades have done far more harm to their children than anyone realised, discouraging active lifestyles.</old-idiot-theories>
Perhaps just that more people have gardens and there is more green space now so playing in the street isn't such an appealing option? I don't have a problem with mini-KB playing in the street but she tend to go in the garden (more toys) or to either of the football fields within a five minute walk.

Reactions: mjr

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wonder if cautious parents of the last few decades have done far more harm to their children than anyone realised, discouraging active lifestyles.</old-idiot-theories>
I think this is a bit likely. It is a constant battle between me and Mrs Skol, I would send the two terrors out to play all the time they don't have chores or homework to do but she is (IMO) overbearingly cautious and always has excuses to stop them going out (no destination, nobody to supervise them, it's too late in the evening, too many idiots on the roads at this time of day/on this day, etc).
Drives me mad! On the otherhand, I think I am doing a good job of countering her over protection by exposing them to all sorts of extra danger whenever I get the chance :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Perhaps just that more people have gardens and there is more green space now so playing in the street isn't such an appealing option? I don't have a problem with mini-KB playing in the street but she tend to go in the garden (more toys) or to either of the football fields within a five minute walk.
I don't think it's that more people have gardens because many gardens are postage stamps with many of the bigger ones have now been reduced by so-called "garden snatcher" new houses infilled. And I don't see many kids on the green spaces I ride past/through and many village sports fields have been sold off for housing development. There might be something in there being more garden toys now though... I think we had a cheap football and our bikes, plus lots of running around.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
On the otherhand, I think I am doing a good job of countering her over protection by exposing them to all sorts of extra danger whenever I get the chance :laugh:
My mother in law and even better one of my wife's uncles are super-risk-averse wrap-them-in-cotton-wool type people. I take create pleasure in throwing mini-KB through somersaults in the air and all sorts of "Daddy-games" when they are about. The gasps of terror make it twice as fun.

A bit of back story. I've been driving the 4 and 1/2 miles to work from Weston to Shirley in Southampton for the past 5 weeks after my car broke down and needed to get to work. I tried to get the bus but they were pretty awful with their time, and often didnt run during the times I needed to get to work on the late shift. It was also bloody expensive.

A friend said "get a bike, its cheap" so luckily a relative lent me theirs as they dont use it. I now realise why. Just this morning alone I have been cut up, driven at, sworn at, nearly scraped... I just cant do this anymore. I dont know how you guys manage?

I may be a big strong man but I look at this now and think this just isnt worth it. It isnt worth the risk to my life. I tried to mention this to work colleagues and family but when I do all they do is start complaining that cyclists run red lights. I dont. I've seen a couple, sure, but is that a reason for someone to put my life at risk?

Add into that its someone elses property I'm using means I've handed it back tonight. Sorry for this being my first post but I had to get that off my chest. The car is being replaced in a couple of weeks after I've saved up enough or can get a loan but for now I'm taking the bus half way and walking the rest.
It's largely a case of perception and mind filtering. If a hundred cars pass you with no incident, you won't remember it as much as one idiot that Close passes you / gives it the billy big balls, likewise, you tend not to remember the uneventful miles, just the Ones with bad surfaces / conditions quite as readily. It gets easier the more you do it, that said, everyone's idiot tolerance is different, and if it's not enjoyable for you, don't force yourself to do it.

keithmac

Guru
It's quite ironic really as I nearly got run over by a bin lorry last Saturday..

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
@Binman I can only guess Drago's welcome is a result of him maybe having a bad day. He's one of many members who have made me feel very welcome on this forum and from my personal experience, quite a nice chap usually :smile:
Regarding your rotten experience of how drivers treat us, I'm willing to bet 90% of the drivers around you that day were kind and considerate. Most are. It's the odd bellend here and there that as your workmates have demonstrated in their views of cyclists, make all drivers look like nobs.
As mentioned earlier, the book 'Cyclecraft' is full of very good advice for riding on roads.
It's largely a case of perception and mind filtering. If a hundred cars pass you with no incident, you won't remember it as much as one idiot that Close passes you / gives it the billy big balls, likewise, you tend not to remember the uneventful miles, just the Ones with bad surfaces / conditions quite as readily. It gets easier the more you do it, that said, everyone's idiot tolerance is different, and if it's not enjoyable for you, don't force yourself to do it.
This^ in spadefulls.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
You should mention that there is one ride a year on National Drive Like an Ar5ehole Day. Then everyone goes back to normal.

@Binman I can only guess Drago's welcome is a result of him maybe having a bad day. He's one of many members who have made me feel very welcome on this forum and from my personal experience, quite a nice chap usually :smile:
Regarding your rotten experience of how drivers treat us, I'm willing to bet 90% of the drivers around you that day were kind and considerate. Most are. It's the odd bellend here and there that as your workmates have demonstrated in their views of cyclists, make all drivers look like nobs.
As mentioned earlier, the book 'Cyclecraft' is full of very good advice for riding on roads.

This^ in spadefulls.
You are spot on with what you say about @Drago, although the OP hasn"t been seen since on this thread, which is a shame because there has been some fantastic advice offered to him

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of hints which might help.

1) ride well out from the curb not in the gutter. Best part of a metre out. This one step massivley reduces the likelihood of close passes and gives you a foot or too of wobble room. You have to be bolshy to do this but i really helps.

2)do stay out if turning left and mostly don't signal left as some clown will try and turn left with you.

3) if there are tricky lanes like on a roundabout - take the same lane you would in a car.

4) door zone - stay well out and if that means taking the whole lane, do it.

5)

All that said, there are, sadly, some roads best avoided on a bike, unless you are very confident / assertive. Also it must be admitted that some towns are simply nicer to cycle in (eg Bristol) even on seemingly hostile roads. Other places aimoly have much more agressive drivers. Dunno about Southampton but Hemel Hempstead was bad (30 years ago) at least compared to modern Bristol, which is great.

boydj

Legendary Member
In spite of some of the horror stories in this thread, cycling is actually almost as safe as walking. For a novice cyclist it can appear daunting, so it will be worthwhile taking up the opportunity to have an experienced cyclist show you the ropes. Finding a quieter route or getting out on quieter roads at the week-ends would also be useful to build your confidence.

Commuting by bike gets you fit, gives you some certainty on journey times and sets you up for the rest of the day. It's the perfect way of building exercise into your daily routine.

Top Bottom