I regret...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Oh dear Arch - another milestone in your development has occurred. Unfortunately this sort of thing will carry on with TV, music, books etc for the rest of your development. I hardly have anything I make any effort to be around to watch on TV these days. Once upon a time I used to watch all sorts of stuff and make the effort to be in to watch.

I usually only watch things about science and the like on BBC Three and Four.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This chap used to write some great stories for Doctor Who. I haven't seen much of D.W. since Jon Pertwee gave it up.

nation.jpg

PBancroft

satans budgie said:
The difference is Russell T Davis writer/producer has moved on.

Oddly enough, I thought RTD was a good showrunner, but I really disliked the episodes that he wrote. They were always seemingly trying to be something that they weren't (bigger, mostly).

I really like Moffat's episodes, and I'm actually quite liking the new series. The new Daleks were a shock, but I wonder if part of the shock was down to the dark lighting and subdued colouring that was used throughout that episode. More of a case of a slightly dodgy directorial choice that an ominous indication that the Doctor has lost its way.

There are weak points. However I think there have been weak points before in the new show, and the show had an opportunity to build out of them. Planet of the Dead springs to mind. As does the Slitheen, Love and Monsters, and any episode with the Daleks in where there have been more than five of them.

rh100

I've gone off it already. I never watched last weeks recording and didn't bother to record yesterdays. For me I think it was best with Tennant and Piper.

I think maybe the new one is too similar in some ways to Tennant, so you end up comparing them all the time, and the acting just isn't as good IMO.

Maybe if they had got someone completely different it would work better.

Steve H

Large Member
It's a bit of an extreme piece of advice but....

Get yourself some young children! I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old and they make watching doctor who great fun. They have to close their eyes when the angels were on screen and they've even been known to hide behind the sofa. Just like Doctor Who should be!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Steve H said:
It's a bit of an extreme piece of advice but....

Get yourself some young children! I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old and they make watching doctor who great fun. They have to close their eyes when the angels were on screen and they've even been known to hide behind the sofa. Just like Doctor Who should be!

Oh, I agree, you get the best out of anything like that with kids around.

Bit tricky for me, none of my own, and my nephew is 200 miles away, and only 2.

jonesy

Guru
Kaipaith said:
Oddly enough, I thought RTD was a good showrunner, but I really disliked the episodes that he wrote. They were always seemingly trying to be something that they weren't (bigger, mostly).

I agree, though I did like the end of series 3 three-parter with the Master (Utopia, Sound of Drums, Last of the Timelords), which were all RTD stories I think.

I really like Moffat's episodes, and I'm actually quite liking the new series. The new Daleks were a shock, but I wonder if part of the shock was down to the dark lighting and subdued colouring that was used throughout that episode. More of a case of a slightly dodgy directorial choice that an ominous indication that the Doctor has lost its way.

There are weak points. However I think there have been weak points before in the new show, and the show had an opportunity to build out of them. Planet of the Dead springs to mind. As does the Slitheen, Love and Monsters, and any episode with the Daleks in where there have been more than five of them.

Moffat's stories were amongst the best in the RTD days. I was a bit worried that he might struggle when having to come up with lots of stories per series instead of just focusing on one, but the ones so far are continuing to demonstrate his ability to do the unexpected. Prisoner Zero and the scary crack in the wall was imho definitely the best series opener for a long while. It was always going to be hard to do bring the Angels back, but I still liked it and I'm sure it will have gone down well with the kids (mine's a bit too young still!).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I still don't think it's healthy for a producer to be writing 5-7 episodes (as in the 45 minute sense) per season. They've had plenty of writers and willingness to bring in brand new ones (a good thing) to cut it down to say 3 per season.

jonesy

Guru
marinyork said:
I still don't think it's healthy for a producer to be writing 5-7 episodes (as in the 45 minute sense) per season. They've had plenty of writers and willingness to bring in brand new ones (a good thing) to cut it down to say 3 per season.

Yes, I agree. I feel there was a broader mix of writers in the days of the 'classic' series, but I couldn't substantiate that.

Arch said:
Oh no!

You don't mean...

<small voice>

I've grown up!

:laugh:

I still don't know what I want to be!

Every time you think you have grown up .... take the Dash out for a ride. That should reassure you!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I liked the 1st episode. I liked the new Dr, liked Amy, really hated the new Tardis decor and what they did with the theme music. By the end of the 2nd episode I was disillusioned with it all. I think I've finally worked out why. Dr Who isn't a science fiction programme; it's a children's programme. And the doctor isn't an alien; he's a superhero.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+1 all the way arch, I think they're competent actors but they don't have that little bit of edge the Ecclestone had or pizzaz that Tennant brought. I wonder if Moffatt is a good no 2 but not quite up to the top man role, the ideas are there but the narrative seems missing, its all seems a tad forced & desperate to be like Dr Who.

my 10 and 11 year old are totally disinterested in this series.

Top Bottom