I remember why I don't use Shimano chains - what've I done wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tried to swap the chain on the wife's road bike last night, after multiple attempts to split the new HG 9spd chain to shorten it I gave up and went back to Evans where I bought it with the old chain to get them to split it, thinking I'll just pop their special link in and done.

Tonight I've stripped the threads on the chain tool trying to push the pin into place.

I was doing my usual easing it in bit by bit, tightening then loosening and re-tightening the chain tool in the theory this wouldn't happen.

What did I do wrong?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The thing you did wrong was not buying a KMC chain.

Sorry.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
To use a quick link I'd need to take half a link out unfortunately and so doesn't side step the problem.

Still can't figure out what I've been doing wrong to strip the thread on the chain tool and not manage to get the link in

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
To use a quick link I'd need to take half a link out unfortunately and so doesn't side step the problem.

Still can't figure out what I've been doing wrong to strip the thread on the chain tool and not manage to get the link in
Either you got the wrong pin or the chain has been cut in the wrong place.
I can't explain it like @Ajax Bay can ^_^, but the chain needs to be cut at the thinner side of the link.
Align the old and the new chain one next to the other, aligning the links, not the length (in case the old one is stretched) then look at the split how it ends, you'll see what I mean.
If they look the same at the cut end, then I guess your pin is the wrong size.

pawl

Legendary Member
You can now get a quick link specially for Shimano chains, As others have suggested get a KMC or Srem chain

I run these chains on my Ultegra 11speed..Goggle has videos on fitting chains.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Split link!!!
I use a 9speed KMC one on a 9speed Shimano chain no problems.
Get reusable ones if you can (it works out cheaper).

Re stripped thread on chain tool. You do have the pin the right way around don't you? the chamfered end goes in first.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
all the above checked, still not winning.

Using a split link would require removing another half link

Top Bottom