I should learn...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

This morning ... my mum... 'get the train - it's too icey... '
Me 'I'll be fine'

And now - I can hardly walk. Hit some black ice this morning and went flying - broke my back mudguard - twisted my handlebars all the way round and got them jammed, and now knee is very painful and tender. Train home I think. :sad:
Not happy. I know - I should have known better really.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Stick to main roads when it is icy.

I remember when I was a student, going out of the front door, thinking "gosh, its icy, I must take care this morning, particularly on corners".

First corner, and I was picking myself up off the road, thinking "why did I take it quicker than usual?"

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
This morning ... my mum... 'get the train - it's too icey... '
Me 'I'll be fine'

And now - I can hardly walk. Hit some black ice this morning and went flying - broke my back mudguard - twisted my handlebars all the way round and got them jammed, and now knee is very painful and tender. Train home I think. :sad:
Not happy. I know - I should have known better really.

So what did you learn today?:whistle:

Hope you are OK.

OP
OP
J

joanna

I learnt that my mum is always right.. no, seriously - to think twice about cycling. I took a different route than normal today, and was enjoying it up to then. At least it gives me a chance to take home the two bottles of wine that I got for Christmas :smile:

Oh hang on . she already knows:wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Stick to main roads when it is icy.

I remember when I was a student, going out of the front door, thinking "gosh, its icy, I must take care this morning, particularly on corners".

First corner, and I was picking myself up off the road, thinking "why did I take it quicker than usual?"

Yup, where there's grit, there's grip (hopefully).

And my icy morning cornering tactic is never take one at a speed that will lean the bike. to paraphrase Stevie Wonder... "Upright! Ev'rything's alright." (hopefully)

hoopdriver

Guru
I learned a similar lesson two years ago. I used to love riding the lanes really early on dark frosty mornings, until I took a nasty spill and messed my shoulder up several months' worth. Now if I see frost on the windscreens of cars I give it a miss because that means there'll be some form of slipperiness on the roads as well.

young Ed

Veteran
ooops! not nice :sad:
been there done that, knocked wheels out of true i think and covered in cuts and bruises and dislocated both shoulders (my shoulders are farked up as i can dislocate them and relocate them when and as i like :tongue:) and messed up back for weeks or months at a time :sad:

i always check the thermometer on the outside of the house when i get up and if it below zero degrees c or there is frost or ice etc on the ground out i just say no
i always say not worth risking one morning and ending up off the bike for several weeks
Cheers Ed

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its ok if your commutes have main roads, country lanes for me .
On Friday i got the bike out and walked 1/4 mile in the snow, walked back again and got the car out as i would have just have fell off .

Top Bottom