i think ive bought the wrong bike???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
18 montha ago i dusted of my 20 year old road bike, enjoyed it but was suffering slightly (3 damaged discs lower back) 9months ago i treated myself to a new giant defy 2, its brilliant but heres the problem though , a couple of weeks ago i borrowed a hybrid and have been riding trails, canal bank etc,and im finding it much more comfortable therefore enjoying it more .
seriously thinking of flogging the giant and looking for a good spec hybrid ,

have any of you gone from road bike to hybrid and did you regret it or not

thanks R,R

rollinstok

I went from mtb then added a road bike. The road bike hardly ever got used as, like you, I much prefer trails and towpaths than roads. I've had a few bikes since but have settled for a hybrid which I use exclusively for an all round mix of riding including the odd tour.
I dont regret getting rid of the mtb or the road bike at all and if I were considering another bike it would be a flat barred tourer... the hybrid would still be the bike of choice for all the rest of my riding though.

Gary E

Veteran
I have one of each.
I work out the route I want to take and then choose the bike that's best suited.
Sometimes I want to take it slow and look at the scenery and sometimes I want to push myself a bit. :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got a flatbar Sirrus with rack and guards for commuting, shopping and pootling when it's wet, an MTB (Kona, underused in my shed) and a carbon roadbike. Not sure I'd use a Cyclocross, I like flat bars for commuting.

I'd keep the roadbike and find a hybrid

defy-one

I've got a hardtail mtb, hybrid/commuter and my new road bike. Like them all in there own ways. Couldn't sell one unless it was to upgrade :becool:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have one of each.
I work out the route I want to take and then choose the bike that's best suited.
Sometimes I want to take it slow and look at the scenery and sometimes I want to push myself a bit. :thumbsup:

THIS^^^^^^
Hybrid, MTB and road bike (much to Mrs Skol's dismay) and choose the best bike for the job in hand :bicycle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is the hybrid more comfy because your sitting more upright ? you could look at flipping the stem or getting a shorter riser stem to replicate the position on the hybrid .

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Many folk complain about the Defy because Giant send them out with a long stem, which makes you reach more, which in turn hurts the back and shoulders.

I replaced my stem with 90mm and also raised the handlebards slightly. Just as comfy as my flat bar bikes now

Willo

You'll find the answer to most types of these problems as justification for needing more bike^_^ I much prefer my road bike to riding a mountain bike but that's probably because I love road cycling.

Similar to Moodyman, when I treated myself to a pro bike fit last year, they changed the stem on my Allex to a much shorter one which, along with other adjustments, has made for a much more comfortable ride.

Top Bottom