I think I've done something really stupid...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I've signed up for the David Lloyd Mega Challenge

http://www.davelloydmegachallenge.com

I've never even ridden 140 miles in a day, let alone 140 miles with 5000m of climbing:ohmy:

Still, it feels good to have something to work towards.
It's over 6 months away, and I love climbing...*clutches at straws*

I'm going to die on a hill in Wales aren't I?:sad:

ash68

Joe said:

I've never even ridden 140 miles in a day, let alone 140 miles with 5000m of climbing:ohmy:

I'm going to die on a hill in Wales aren't I?:sad:

in a word YESxx(. I took a look at the ride,but too hard for me.I can do 100+ hilly miles, but 140 over those hills, not for me at this time.May consider it in the future though:smile:. Good luck Joe, enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Thanks, but I don't think I anticipate "enjoying" the ride;)
I do intend to train my arse off and make it round though!

And there's always the shorter route if I'm definitely not fit enough when the time comes around.:sad:

walker

You better start working your way towards 9 stone and under Joe. this is a challenge yes and the lighter you are the better the hills will be.

I would suggest taking a spare lung in your saddle bag

You'll be all right, Joe!
With the right training, preparation and attitude you'll cruise it!
I see you're passing by Llangollen, in which case I'm sure one of our forumers could give you a piece of cake or two.
Keep us posted on how your training's going.
Good luck!

yenrod

Joe I can only wish you the supremist of training schedules ! Honestly.

Aim for the ability to do, in a 7day period come May/June: one 8hr ride on a Sunday for example..with a club etc...and a 3hr on a webnesday and an hour tickover ride in between the 3 & 8 hour rides...

Its all on getting the miles in Joe. you'll need such 'conditioning' to take on a ride like this. I'm going from previous rides / training I've done.

You can't fail if you stick to a good training plan now !!! I wish you well.

On a lighter note: I love the way all those (poor bastards) who've entered are listed...like lambs to the slaughter...

You silly, silly man. My wife talked me out of a spur of the moment entry to LEL last week. Now that would have been stupid!

Good luck though, you've got plenty of time to plan your funeral train.

Joe said:

I'm going to die on a hill in Wales aren't I?:biggrin:

Yup. The White Rose Classic is 'epic' at 185km and 3911m of climbing. This is just macho bollocks. You may as well hit yourself in the face with a hammer as well - it won't add to the pain that much.

Oh and I don't like Dave Lloyd. He likes to litter sportive routes with his punctured Tufo tubs. Tosser.

I'm amused by the @rse-licking of 'living legend' Dave Lloyd on cyclosport.org, although his replies to people's coaching queries are pretty balanced.

Plax

Guru
Good luck. Just one point - just checked out the "Mega" route. You might want to start at RUTHIN as there is no such place as Ruthlin. Don't want you to get off with a bad start after all!

ASC1951

Guru
Disgruntled Goat said:
Oh and I don't like Dave Lloyd. He likes to litter sportive routes with his punctured Tufo tubs. Tosser.
He speaks highly of you too, DG :biggrin:

But you have put me off. I would have signed up otherwise.

steve c

Don't worry Joe

Hi Joe

I too am doing the mega challenge. Did the Grand Fondo Cymru last week, which was about 122 miles. First time I'd done over 100 miles. Did it in 8 hours 42 minutes. I live not too far from Ruthin and have managed to do some training rides on some of the route. The worst climbs are the one at the beginning up the back of moel famau and the bewlch y groes. Did bewlch y groes after about 80 - 90 miles in the legs and managed it ok. Suggest you have at least a compact chain set. If its good enough for Contodor then its good enough for me. Anyway might see you there.

Steve C

Top Bottom