I think this means my fork is bent...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny251

Can anyone confirm if my left fork is bent and do I need to get it seen to?
A mate said that my front wheel looks off centre and on further inspection the plastic coupling isn't parallel all the way round when facing it it thins towards the right which is the left fork. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 98

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Undo your wheel and re-set it in the dropouts.

jim55

Guru
danny post the other pics as well

for other peoples curiosity i have ridden this bike and rode behind it ,,,the front wheel is not in line with the back wheel ,,i dont think the op really displayed it as bad as it is ,,bearing in mind this bike was in for a service and a test ride from the ,,,mechanic,,,:rolleyes: ,it was passed as fit to return to customer and i (the untrained eye )picked up on it right away !!

when its ridden the back wheel should follow pretty much exactly in the tracks of the front ,,,this doesnt ,,the front is on a seperate track altogether ,,the wheel is central in the forks and looks to b ok from sitting on the bike but you can actually see the whole wheel/forks /everything sits to the left,,its as if the bikes forks have been hit side on and pushed everything over ,,i think the steerer is bent

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

Haha I can your right. I will post the other two tonight when I am home from work.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

bad boy

Über Member
Not the steerer I very much doubt as that will result in the bars not being aligned as opposed to the fork blades IMO.

And unless its a steel steerer I don't it would bend anyway more likely crack and fail if alu rather than bend but it's not that.

Is the frame aligned properly ? Could be dishing of the wheel also I suppose but then its positioned equally within the dropouts !?.

I'd be checking the frame first I think

jim55

Guru
Not the steerer I very much doubt as that will result in the bars not being aligned as opposed to the fork blades IMO.

And unless its a steel steerer I don't it would bend anyway more likely crack and fail if alu rather than bend but it's not that.

Is the frame aligned properly ? Could be dishing of the wheel also I suppose but then its positioned equally within the dropouts !?.

I'd be checking the frame first I think

i really cant think of a way to describe this ,,but if u imagine from looking along the bike from the rear ,,the rear wheel is runninh from 6 to 12 (on the clock face ),the front is running from a bit past the 6 (towards the 7)and to a bit past the 12 pos (towards the 1)
the front wheel is central and runs true in the forks ,,if u were to put in a feeler guage on the left sideunder the headset(as u sit on the bike )the gap is a lot less than the right side ,,this gap is about 1mm but at the bottom of the wheel it obv gets bigger and the wheel is out by a good bit,,it looks as if (as i said )the forks have been hit from the side and everything has moved with them ,,its defo not the frame ,,there is no dishing issues at all ,,all looks ok apart from being out of line ,,anyway if it was me id say bent forks and take it back to the shop danny will post better pics and itl b obv (im sure):biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Get a piece of string, run it round the forks fairly low down and hold both ends against the rear dropouts. Then you can check the gap where the string passes either side of the seat tube, which should of course be equal on an undamaged frame. You'll need a mate to hold the bars so they are dead straight.

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

Get a piece of string, run it round the forks fairly low down and hold both ends against the rear dropouts. Then you can check the gap where the string passes either side of the seat tube, which should of course be equal on an undamaged frame. You'll need a mate to hold the bars so they are dead straight.

Ok I will try this tomorrow thanks.

Here are the pictures from the side.

IMAG0134.jpg IMAG0135.jpg

Top Bottom