I thought Recumbents Were Fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must admit that my trip into work is about ten minutes slower than the one home. I never hurry this trip as that way I am less sweaty when I get there.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm actually the fastest cyclist in the world, but I know it's discouraging to be effortlessly overtaken by me all the time, especially as I sail up the hills, so I make a point of doing an 11mph average so as not to show other people up.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
??? my point exactly Lee
[QUOTE 1142296"]
Eh? 52.5mph down a hill on Saturday Ian.

Cycling past Gatwick as well you thought you heard the sound of planes taking off where as it was actually the trike accelerating off the numerous RAB's that are in that area.

Going back to the OP bent cyclists are an elite group, we know that by riding a 'bent we have style and pennache and don't feel the need to go fast just to prove a point.
[/quote]

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
So he could keep up,
He tried but gave up.

I still do not understand why some people seem have taken this thread so seriously, I admire recumbent riders as it is something I would like to do but will probably never will due to not having the bottle.
This is basically a thread about a extremely rare thing for me a scalp of another cyclist higher up the food chain, I hardly see any bikes on my commute, on the road that is, and this was the first ever recumbent.:rolleyes:

potsy

Rambler
??? my point exactly Lee

But you didn't mention Lee in your post Ian,think you hurt his feelings
rolleyes.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
He tried but gave up.

I still do not understand why some people seem have taken this thread so seriously, I admire recumbent riders as it is something I would like to do but will probably never will due to not having the bottle.
This is basically a thread about a extremely rare thing for me a scalp of another cyclist higher up the food chain, I hardly see any bikes on my commute, on the road that is, and this was the first ever recumbent.:rolleyes:

Nah, if I can do it, anyone can.

It's not bottle you need, it's the ability to cope with the enormous amount of attention you get. Or in other words, a big head! ;)

Sorry if we've taken it too seriously. I think perhaps the title struck a slightly... I dunno... sneering tone, or we misread it as that...

BTW, you may not realise, but when passing a recumbent, it is compulsory to say one of the following things:

"Cool bike!"
"That looks comfortable" (if you want to be seen as clever)
"That looks uncomfortable" (if you want to be seen as stupid)
or
"You're doing very well" - preferably in a loud voice as if you assume the rider is deaf as well as disabled...

The first is best.... ;)

I think I had them all on the sportive...

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 1142302"]
It's not a scalp though is it? So please quit with the ''I don't understand'' bit when you are talking bollox.
[/quote]

OK going past someone on a superior and considerably more expensive bike is not a scalp:tongue:.

I would quit talking bollox but it's hard to give up, to many withdrawal symptoms.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
BTW, you may not realise, but when passing a recumbent, it is compulsory to say one of the following things:

"Cool bike!"
or
"You're doing very well" - preferably in a loud voice as if you assume the rider is deaf as well as disabled...

The first is best.... ;)

Probably never see it again or more likely he'll being going past me soon.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well I'm amused! Clearly recumbent riders have been doing a good job of putting out the performance message, and now you've had the pleasure of scalping one! All we want now is the rear view video.

Cycle snobbery is alive and well....It's a bit like (some) of our BMW driving friends....:laugh:

Sorry if this offends but this is how I see it...

Nah, if I can do it, anyone can.

It's not bottle you need, it's the ability to cope with the enormous amount of attention you get. Or in other words, a big head! ;)

Sorry if we've taken it too seriously. I think perhaps the title struck a slightly... I dunno... sneering tone, or we misread it as that...

"Cool bike!"
or

The first is best.... ;)

T'other day I was on the Catrike and two girls on a park bench commented:

"He rides really cool bikes"

(Ego boost)

Then the other one had to spoil it with:

"Especially when you look at his age!"
(Ego rapidly deflates)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It can only be a scalp if the other person is playing the unspoken game.

Yeah, but the recumbent rider was playing - as soon as he was passed he tried to keep up and got ridden off the OP's wheel. Scalped, and with a massive difference in FCN number too.

Top Bottom