I took my Dad out for a pint (what a night!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
My dad is well into his 80,s and just the other week he came over to my town for the weekend. He rarely visits but he did live in my town dating back 20 year's ago.
When he was younger he was a bit of a hell raiser and enjoyed a pint or two to say the least.
Whilst over I thought it would be nice to go out for a quiet pint with him and to see the old town he once lived in and reminisce about the old bye gone days he spent there.
As he's getting on abit ,I armed my wallet with some money and insisted I'll pay all night for his drink's, expecting it to be a quiet evening of drinking Stout and a game of domino's at a local boozer (after all ,it will probably be his last time he will probably come over for a pint in my area)
Well the quiet night of a few beers didn't exactly go to plan!
Once finding out I was paying for his beer, he was like a free range turkey which resulted into a pub crawl.
7.30 pm he was on the phone wondering where I was. Soon after I picked him up and dumped the car we went off for our so called quiet pint. It was one pub after the other ,and then we got to were the youngsters drink. The music was banging and the lights flashing and it was packed out with youngsters dancing and partying.He was straight in there and was dancing amongst them all without a care in the world.The younger generation thought he was brilliant getting stuck in on the dance floor. By 1 am he was still going strong and we retired to an old school pub for our last drink. As we went in, every body in there recognized him and my tortured wallet was given a break. We didn't pay for a single drink for rest of the night/should I say morning,as everyone bought him and my self a drink. By 4 am we thought it was time to wind it up and staggered back to were he was staying.Singing , laughing and joking we walked back ,only for the pair of us to fall arse over head over someone's hedge and end up on there lawn.We were just lying there laughing so much we couldn't get up.Eventually we got up and thankfully got him home safely.
In a strange way I so proud of him.
He's not a million miles from his 100th birthday but his mind set is firmly set as a youngster god bless him.
His moto has always been live for today and sod tomorrow,
God bless you Dad xx

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sounds like a nice night! :okay: I often stand at my dad's grave and think we might've done the same as you and your dad if he was still here and hadn't died nearly 21 years ago. I bet though if he was, we'd still argue and say things we'd probably regret the following day.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi,
My dad is well into his 80,s and just the other week he came over to my town for the weekend. He rarely visits but he did live in my town dating back 20 year's ago.
When he was younger he was a bit of a hell raiser and enjoyed a pint or two to say the least.
Whilst over I thought it would be nice to go out for a quiet pint with him and to see the old town he once lived in and reminisce about the old bye gone days he spent there.
As he's getting on abit ,I armed my wallet with some money and insisted I'll pay all night for his drink's, expecting it to be a quiet evening of drinking Stout and a game of domino's at a local boozer (after all ,it will probably be his last time he will probably come over for a pint in my area)
Well the quiet night of a few beers didn't exactly go to plan!
Once finding out I was paying for his beer, he was like a free range turkey which resulted into a pub crawl.
7.30 pm he was on the phone wondering where I was. Soon after I picked him up and dumped the car we went off for our so called quiet pint. It was one pub after the other ,and then we got to were the youngsters drink. The music was banging and the lights flashing and it was packed out with youngsters dancing and partying.He was straight in there and was dancing amongst them all without a care in the world.The younger generation thought he was brilliant getting stuck in on the dance floor. By 1 am he was still going strong and we retired to an old school pub for our last drink. As we went in, every body in there recognized him and my tortured wallet was given a break. We didn't pay for a single drink for rest of the night/should I say morning,as everyone bought him and my self a drink. By 4 am we thought it was time to wind it up and staggered back to were he was staying.Singing , laughing and joking we walked back ,only for the pair of us to fall arse over head over someone's hedge and end up on there lawn.We were just lying there laughing so much we couldn't get up.Eventually we got up and thankfully got him home safely.
In a strange way I so proud of him.
He's not a million miles from his 100th birthday but his mind set is firmly set as a youngster god bless him.
His moto has always been live for today and sod tomorrow,
God bless you Dad xx

Just (literally) been crying while reading that to my wife. I used to enjoy going to the match and a few pints with her (lovely) Dad.
Least said about my Dad the better.
Good memories for you though.....nice one.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My Dad wasn't a big drinker, but he would have a pint or two with me before going to watch Barnet play footie. In later life before the dementia took hold we would meet up in the Mitre for lunch, although he would only have soft drinks.
When in was in a care home, I used to take him out for lunch once a week,. Unfortunately by then he really didn't know where he was, or who I was. He did enjoy the few hours out though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t thing you quite understand percentages. 😂😀

It wasn’t about percentages , it was about absolutes 🙄

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Brilliant! When I was 18/19 I regularly went for a pint with my old man... We had a lot of laughs, and I learned a lot about him that I hadn't known (some wonderful, one quite surpising). I moved away, and sadly he was dead 4 years later. I'd give anything to have a pint with him again. Treasure those moments 😊

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Brilliant! When I was 18/19 I regularly went for a pint with my old man... We had a lot of laughs, and I learned a lot about him that I hadn't known (some wonderful, one quite surpising). I moved away, and sadly he was dead 4 years later. I'd give anything to have a pint with him again. Treasure those moments 😊

My father died when I was 16, so never got that having a pint as adults experience.

andy0001

Über Member
I beg to disagree 😀

Sorry to hear about you dad. I was lucky my dad didn’t die until I was in my 40s on the other hand it meant I had to watch the dad I knew fade way before my eyes . Alzheimer’s is a very cruel disease 😕
Currently seeing my dad go through the last stages of it now, 2 years ago there was a few signs, he locked himself away during the lockdowns and refused to come out or let us visit, then my mum fell very ill with Cancer, we spent all our spare time tending to her, she pulled through, when dad would finally let us in we saw how far along the Dementia had gone, since then he has had to move 3 times to facilities that could cope with his ever worsening conditions.

in 2.5 years he went from a pub going, easy chatting mobile guy to a wheelchair bound, guy who can barely recognize his family or speak hardly at all. tough tough thing to see and go through and feel for every single person that has had to go through anything like it.

to everyone who has the chance, enjoy your time with family if you can, it's sometimes not to late to go have that beer or chat if you feel the need too and can, i won't ever get the chance to do that with my dad again but still go to see him and it breaks me up every damn time when i do. i kinda wish he'd give up fighting and hate saying that.

Exlaser2

Veteran
I totally understand your last sentence, most people in this situation feel the same . I certainly did. With my dad the time between diagnosis and him dying was only a year ( Probably because he hid it for so so long ) . It’s a sad thing to say but him dying was the best thing that could have happened for my mum who was really struggling to cope with him. She managed to have another really happy 12 years in sheltered accommodation.

andy0001

Über Member
yeah am hoping for him that he can rest soon, hard things like, he taught himself, an ex publican and ex plumber to paint from watching Bob Ross you tube videos, i have a stack of his paintings (30 or so) that i have no clue what to do with. sorry to hijack the thread, i do remember some of his dafter fun moments and us kids do still laugh at his old ways.
my dad hid it as well, weird though as he started a will and funeral plan in the early stages of it so i kinda wonder what he knew was going on or if he knew but to what extent.
glad your mum got to have some happy days after your dad passing.:smile:

Top Bottom