I Tried a (Lady) Brooks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
Part of the problem is that I can't face anything longer than 15 miles of commuting on it - if it was just my bumbones complaining I could cope, but it's currently splitting my infinitives! :blush:

Can you fit it to another bike where you can do the miles at weekends for instance.

One thing to speed up the braking in process which I have not tried myself but I've read other people trying it with some degree of success is...... soak the underside of the saddle and then ride it...... not sure how many times you need to do this but I've read that it definitely helps the braking in process.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Can you fit it to another bike where you can do the miles at weekends for instance.
It's not the availability of the miles...it's the fact that after about 15 miles things hurt to the point that all I canthink about is getting off the bike, and I end up bracing myself against the bars and pedals to try and keep any weight off the front.

I think re: soaking the underside, it will break quicker, but you run the risk of the saddle stretching too much. Mind you, am not sure if I care about that at the moment!

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Right, have adjusted the nose slightly down and will keep trying. I have brief moments of feeling just how comfortable it could be!

In it's favour, I like the fact it's wider than my other saddles, and the leather feels cool and smooth. If only it wasn't so bloody hard!

Good luck Baggy because I have a theory that it might be down to luck. Years ago I had a B17 which was great but in my misguided attempts to break it in quicker I overstretched it. Fast forward a few years and I decided to try a Brooks Professional, after 1000 + miles it hadn't changed its shape at all and looked just like new, I sold it. Now I have a Brooks Swift on order [honey] for my fixed, and believe me you need a comfy saddle for a fixed, so I am watching your story with some interest.
One day someone will invent a saddle that immediately moulds to your bum when you first sit on it then hardens in that shape, a bit like ski boots.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Good luck Baggy because I have a theory that it might be down to luck.
I have a feeling you might be right! Has your Swift arrived yet?

On the last ride, it did feel a lot better with the nose tilted down a tiny bit more.
I'm giving up on it for a little bit though, as I've been moaning about on other sections of the forum, one of my knees is a bit dodgy so I'm swapping back to the original saddle for a while as I don't think shifting my position around on the Brooks every 2 minutes is helping much!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I recommend a good discus throw into the nearest lake ;)

Heh :smile: Or sell it to a cycling Monkey :smile:

I like Brooks from the outset, but once they form to one's shape, I love them.

I have Crackle's B17N, I reckon it "gave" around the 350/450 mile mark - it's wonderful now, and bag loops mean no faffing to fit a carradice too.

Heh :smile: Or sell it to a cycling Monkey :smile:

I like Brooks from the outset, but once they form to one's shape, I love them.

I have Crackle's B17N, I reckon it "gave" around the 350/450 mile mark - it's wonderful now, and bag loops mean no faffing to fit a carradice too.

I'm tempted to say send it back so i can try it but somehow.......

Anyhow that's what I nearly did with mine, well it was a loch but the result would have been the same. Only the fact I would have had to stand for 14 miles saved it's leathery ass.

Fiona N

Veteran
I have problems understanding why any one would persist with a Brooks when with a bit of work you can find a saddle which works for you from the outset.

While my beloved Selle Italias don't last for 40 years, at least I don't have to spend months get injured and hundreds of pounds on Assos chamois cream and whatnot to lessen the pain until I get it to a rideable state ;)

I guess I'm lucky that Selle Italia apparently use my backside as the model for their ladies' saddles :biggrin:

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Coincidentally I removed the Brooks and stuck on a brande new Selle Italia yesterday. Rode 60 miles yesterday without even noticing it was there...don't think the Brooks is going back on!

Coincidentally I removed the Brooks and stuck on a brande new Selle Italia yesterday. Rode 60 miles yesterday without even noticing it was there...don't think the Brooks is going back on!

Oy knee girl! Are you supposed to be riding 60 miles at the moment?

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
My boys bought me one for Christmas, I proofed it about 6 times before I put it on my MummyBike, I'd heard it could takes months to break it, but had also heard so many great thinsg about them, I was willing to put up with a bit of short term discomfort..
It has been brillinat from day one, best saddle i've ever used. I can ride for hours towing my son (at least 8stone) & not have a tender bum at the end of it. On the other hand, the technicaly engineered saddle that is on my new bike is giving me a serious pain in the cocyx - I am considering getting another Brooks for my Spesh now

And just had a thought... I only wear 'normal' clothes on my MummyBike, but on my other I do wear cycle specific & padded shorts Hmmmmm?

aberal

Guru
I have problems understanding why any one would persist with a Brooks when with a bit of work you can find a saddle which works for you from the outset.

While my beloved Selle Italias don't last for 40 years, at least I don't have to spend months get injured and hundreds of pounds on Assos chamois cream and whatnot to lessen the pain until I get it to a rideable state ;)

I've just ditched my Selle Italia (the third on the same bike) 3 weeks ago in favour of a brand new Brooks Swift. My first big ride was 60 miles which I undertook a tad gingerly, 70 miles the following weekend and I did 80 on Saturday, with no breaking in whatsoever and no adverse affects. Just goes to show, doesn't it? There's no real rules when it comes to the saddle/posterior conflict.

Top Bottom