I want a big challenge!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
You say you're doing LEJOG but how?

Done without back up, carrying your own stuff, that can be a great challenge if you go for the Audax Randonneur 5 day (116 hours) version. No organisation, you have to do it all yourself including choosing your route. Depending on the route, it works out at a little under 300km each day.

Great stuff.

My version included 6 nights in rather nice hotels including a lovely restaurant with rooms before the start (the owner brought me breakfast to a layby on the way to Plymouth as I left to early for the official one, the bridal suite at a hotel outside Kidderminster so I could bring my trike indoors and a small hotel in Penicuik where the proprietor got up at 5 am to make proper porridge for my breakfast ahead of the usual hours.

frank9755

Cyclist
You're too late to qualify for PBP but there are two things that I'd like to do, one day:
- 1000 du sud: 1,000 km of glorious southern French riding in September. 43,000 feet of climbing and you can enter on the line for €5!
- Calais-Brindisi - the classic European diagonal audax route.

However, either of these is likely to put your LEJoG in the shade a bit.

As others have said, start with shorter audaxes and work up. Navigation is not an issue.

Some people get excited by Round The Year Randonneur - doing a 200+km ride in 12 successive months.

ian_oli

Über Member
In my previous life (i.e. for several years until this year) I was an ultra marathon runner. I am cycling now as I am waiting for surgery on my plantar fascia but it doesnt affect the bike.

I've been doing 100 mile or a bit longer sportive events every weekend, but I want more challenges, kinda like, ultra cycling!!

I can see there are some long AUDAX events- I'm a little scared of the navigation in them, but they might be the only things?

I'm doing LEJOG in October, but I'd like something I can get my teeth into. Anyone know anything? I'd rather do something that 'went somewhere' than a 24 hour event........

I am running 300km and 230km Audaxes on Saturday 30th July from Baldock, north of London, aimed at people doing this year's big Ultra Audax, Paris-Brest-Paris, as practice and equipment shakedown. Navigation is fairly simple on most of the route and there is a spread of entrants from almost the fastest likely UK PBP finisher to people who will just do it in time, so you should find some company matching your pace. So if Baldock is within reach look at http://iansaudax.blogspot.com/ and give it go!

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Heather, it is great to hear about some one with a burning cycling ambition for endurance.

You will find that sportives are fine in the first instance and will provide an initial challenge but they have their limits and you may wish to start off at that level. Sportives can be credited for introducing many cyclists to difficult routes but for endurance riders they did not really register.

For someone who is used to ultra-marathons, the only real option is a randonee audax. In fact a 200km audax is probably the cycling equivalent of a marathon - and an experience you will not generally gain from a bog standard sportive.

I would not worry to much about the navigational issue with audaxes. Most organisers now make downloads available for GPS users. Audaxes are also a true test of an endurance cyclist's ability through self reliance, if anything goes wrong then you will need the cyclist's where with all to get of it (or cadge some help!).

Pleased to see that you are riding LEJOG in October. That will of course be a true tester especially with the onset of the Scottish winter/autumn, so I take my hat off to you. I am attempting to pluck up the courage to ride LEJOG as an audax in 4days 20hrs.

You could always give this one some thought as a target in two years time:

http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/

Depending upon where you are located, I am sure that others could give advise on events specific to your home location

OP
OP
H

Heather

Wow, thanks for all the responses!!

I am not the richest in the world, so things in US/scandinavia probably won't be doable. I do like the sound of the PBP though.

For those who asked, i'm doing LEJOG unsupported, carrying my own stuff.

I have found a good event- Great Barrow Challenge in September, 4 consecutive days near Bury St Edmunds of 125 miles a day. Its a good start, but looking to hear about lots more :smile:

I'm based in Berkshire. Been doing 100 mile sportives each week since April, and they are fun and all that, but I want something a bit, more......

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wow, thanks for all the responses!!

I am not the richest in the world, so things in US/scandinavia probably won't be doable. I do like the sound of the PBP though.

For those who asked, i'm doing LEJOG unsupported, carrying my own stuff.

I have found a good event- Great Barrow Challenge in September, 4 consecutive days near Bury St Edmunds of 125 miles a day. Its a good start, but looking to hear about lots more :smile:

I'm based in Berkshire. Been doing 100 mile sportives each week since April, and they are fun and all that, but I want something a bit, more......

Oh were in Berkshire. I used to live in Reading for a few years in the late 1990's

yello

- 1000 du sud: 1,000 km of glorious southern French riding in September. 43,000 feet of climbing and you can enter on the line for €5!

I like the sound of that! I'll stick that on the calendar for next year!

330 km and 8,000 m of ascent. Tour de Mont Blanc. You have exactly one year to train for it. Try Marmotte first to break your legs in!!! Good luck. See you there.

Top Bottom