I Want To Build My Own Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ramses

Hi all,

I am looking to build my own road bike. I currently have a mountain bike, which I will not replace totally. But I would like to use a road bike on occasion.

I want to start with a second hand frame, that I will have sandblasted back to bare metal and then resprayed.

I will then slowly build up the components. I don't want to spend a fortune on it, as it won't get as much use as the MTB, plus the wife won't be happy if I go mad:wacko:

I would like a good quality Aluminium frame, what make, age, should I look at.
I don't want to spend a lot on the frame, hoping for a bargain, when the time comes to buy one.

Then month by month, slowly create a bike.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't want to rain on your parade, but that's one expensive way to get a bike. Whether you buy new or on ebay, buying part by part is going to cost a helluvalot more than buying all in one go. If you have a fettling desire, I'd suggest buying the bike you want, taking it to pieces, getting it resprayed, then building it again. You'll get twice the bike for the money - or three or four times, if you ebay and buy wisely.

OP
OP
ramses

ramses

I see your point ;)

I'll have to think on that.

What would be a good make / bike to go for in the region of £500-700

I don't need an all singing all dancing bike, but would like a reasonable one for my pennies. Would like it be as light as possible for the amount I'm spending.

It's been a while since I've looked at road bikes, well years actually and it's all changed a lot!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']Don't want to rain on your parade, but that's one expensive way to get a bike. Whether you buy new or on ebay, buying part by part is going to cost a helluvalot more than buying all in one go. If you have a fettling desire, I'd suggest buying the bike you want, taking it to pieces, getting it resprayed, then building it again. You'll get twice the bike for the money - or three or four times, if you ebay and buy wisely.[/QUOTE]

+1

The lightest frames generally are carbon. The lightest components are generally those in the topmost groupsets.

But there are plenty of exceptions.

Buying secondhand carbon frame or components is a tricky (and risky) business.

If you are after lightweight, it is worth spending some time on this website if you haven't already.

OP
OP
ramses

ramses

I'm not sure on the carbon front. Keep hearing stories about forks breaking, causing rather nasty accidents, and constant checking for cracks etc... Lots of pennies down the tube, pardon the pun! Happy with a good quality aluminium frame. I'm guessing that Titanium is probably oober expensive as well.

Will check out the site though. Thanks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've never had carbon, but I suspect your fears are largely unfounded. I think good ones are pretty robust. Having said which...

You know what I'd do if I was in your position? I'd go for the very best in steel. You'd be amazed how light a good frame made in 653/753/853 can be - and if you ebayed a bike built with a tube like that, you'd almost certainly get top-end components too. For your kind of budget, on ebay, you could get something seriously mouth-watering. Something like this, eg - I mean, probably not that...I just went and did a 1 min search on '853'...but something like that. You may have to wait until just the right one comes up, but you wouldn't regret it.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
ramses said:

I don't need an all singing all dancing bike, but would like a reasonable one for my pennies. Would like it be as light as possible for the amount I'm spending.

It's been a while since I've looked at road bikes, well years actually and it's all changed a lot!
Any of these would be a good place to start

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-2010-road-bike-ec019551?query=secteur £549

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-sport-2010-road-bike-ec019550?query=secteur £649

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-16-2010-road-bike-ec019545?query=alllez £499

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...t-triple-2010-road-bike-ec019408?query=alllez £629

Jay

hubgearfreak

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']You know what I'd do if I was in your position? I'd go for the very best in steel.[/QUOTE]

+1

ASC1951

Guru
If you aren't in a hurry, Ramses, you could do worse than browse Classifieds on here for a few weeks.

shrew

ramses said:
I see your point :ohmy:

I'll have to think on that.

thats a really nice budget, you can get a new boardman comp for 700, or second hand for 350-400, or a Team for 450ish.

almost new specialized allez elite for around the 450-500 mark too, both are great bikes.

for that budget, if your happy to go second hand you should be looking around at bikes for about £1000 in bike shops, take a few out and ride them!then checking ebay for them, you should get something very nice for you budget )

i would very much agree on the buying a bike whole, road bike parts seem to hold there value more then MTB.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
shrew said:
you should be looking around at bikes for about £1000 in bike shops, take a few out and ride them!then checking ebay for them

your LBS must love you, if it hasn't already shut:rolleyes:

shrew

i also said about buying a new bike, so nice editing, with a budget upto £700 it gives his lbs the oppertunity to sell a new bike.

and.. my lbs doesnt sell bikes over £200, and as i just spent £2300 less then a week ago on a racer from a fairly lbs id imagine there pretty chuffed with me, yes )

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I wouldn't rule out building up your own bike. It is satisfying and fun, you will learn a lot about bike maintenance, and it's an antidote to the 'I want it now' culture we live in. It won't necessarily cost you less. But you can find new / nearly new frames on ebay and new old model parts from places like Parker International, St John's Street Cycles and many others, as well as occasional bargains in the sale bins of your LBS and garage clear-outs / private sales on websites like this etc. I built up the bike I used for sportives this way (based on an alu-carbon frame I got for 150 on ebay (worth 400 at the time) with bargain bin 9-speed parts - everything has gone 10 or 11 speed now, but you don't need to!), and it has given me enormous pleasure both in the building process and in using it.

lukesdad

Yes I second what Flying Monkey has said. Both my Race bikes have been built from frames up,And cost alot less with the spec Ive got. Most bought new on E bay or dealer special offers. Plus you can research and source evrey part you want without compromise.

sticky sherbert

lukesdad said:
Yes I second what Flying Monkey has said. Both my Race bikes have been built from frames up,And cost alot less with the spec Ive got. Most bought new on E bay or dealer special offers. Plus you can research and source evrey part you want without compromise.

I have to agree, building a road bike at present and with only one used part so far (the saddle) I am still saving money, and having fun doing it.

Top Bottom