I want to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello.

Can anyone recommend a good bike for a low price (£200 at most).

Hybrid/Mountain wanted. I think cycling on britain's roads is suicide, and the cycle paths here are in the country. But not true offroad/dirt track.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a look at the decathlon range. Good value well made bikes, you can test ride around the store

TBH 2nd hand would be my choice every time with your budget, and that's not being a bike snob it's just being practical.

That said I have to concur with vickster re: Decathlon bikes, so if you must buy new then this is a good option.

As for 2nd hand, if you're not confident in what to check for when viewing a used bike then just take someone with you who is.

Or check out the for sale section HERE, you'll get a lot more bike for your money by buying used.

If this option interests you just post up and the folks here will give you some pointers on what to ask a seller, and also what to ask for from a seller, (eg: proof of purchase).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hello.

Can anyone recommend a good bike for a low price (£200 at most).

Hybrid/Mountain wanted. I think cycling on britain's roads is suicide, and the cycle paths here are in the country. But not true offroad/dirt track.

New: Decathlon or Halfords at that price point. Don't get anything with suspension.

Another vote for second hand though.

As an aside, don't believe the hype & misery mongers about roads.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
As witnessed by my eyes and wallet this very weekend; Decathlon bikes are packing a lot of spec for the money.

Sure, second hand, via the usual channels, can deliver serious bargains, but you have to know what you're looking at. Not everybody does.

Russell

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @ghost whistler

From experience I can advise that with new bikes cheap often means shoddy. There are some bargains to be had though as have already been mentioned upthread. Also as already stated, forget suspension in this price range

I think your comment about cycling on the roads is rather sensationalist.:stop: I'll admit to not being very keen on A roads but it would be pretty limiting (say 6 miles from home maximum) if I didn't ride on road.:wacko:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
One of the problems buying second hand that I can see is the difficulty of getting a bike that fits. I wonder how you would suggest a newbie gets round this?

And on riding on the roads, I'm still very wobbly and nervous on the roads around my home. The canal is a lifeline in that respect and I have explored some lanes by the canal as a way of improving my confidence. Road traffic has changed a lot in the past 50 years!

OP
OP
G
Thanks for the replies, but second hand is entirely dependent on whether people have stuff for sale and round here there's nothing.

What shops sell Decathlon? Do they deliver? I live too far otherwise

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies, but second hand is entirely dependent on whether people have stuff for sale and round here there's nothing.

What shops sell Decathlon? Do they deliver? I live too far otherwise
Decathlon sell decathlon, they do deliver

Where do you live?

Mandragora

Welcome ^_^ - great to see you here.

The 'Decathlon' which has been mentioned is a sports chain store - I've seen them on the continent, but not over here, however, a quick check shows they're pretty strong in the UK too. Link is here, I've gone straight to mountain bikes for you, as it looks as if they have some promotions on the site at the moment:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359112-mountain-bikes?opeco=opeco:HP-C3-Mountain-Bikes&type=Range
however, the home page will also navigate you to other products too, which is worth exploring.

They also have 'advice/buying guide' pages here:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/user-guide-cycling.html

Lots of different views on here about roads - I'm pretty timid myself, and overcoming my anxieties about road cycling was something I had to do in the end, when preparing for a longer road ride event I wanted to do - so while I think some have been a little harsh in their response to a newbie post, don't take that too much to heart.

Oh, and enjoy cycling!:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Top Bottom