I want to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Rykard

Veteran
the brand is well thought of as good value and pretty good spec. Most people tend to go for the 'normal' style framed road hybrids or MTB.

but if they work for you go for it.

OP
OP
G
I think maybe the best thing would be to go to Evans as suggested and see what's around. I don't really wanbt a heavy bike, and i've just noticed that one also has suspension which I don't want either.

I'm hesitant to spend money unless i'm 100% sure.

Rykard

Veteran
or the flat bar road @ Decathlon (£260)

Tim Hall

Evans don't have a lot at £200 generally
Have you looked at the carrera subway at Halfords especially given you won't be riding fast on roads
Another vote for the Carrera Subway. I had a hand in a friend getting one a couple of weeks back. At the time Halfords had some kind of deal on, where spending over 200 quid got money off. Bottom line was we got a Subway for £209 delivered to the local store. It's a lot of bike for the money.

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy one second hand :smile:

Or how about something like this, basic, but it doesn't sound like you are going to be riding hundreds of miles a month, on paths you won't be able to zoom along anyhow. Peds, dogs, kids etc always have right of way :smile:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B6690.html or
http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B6688.html

Are these paths you are going to be riding mostly flat? If so, how about a single speed - cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain, and easy to ride

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/browse/road_bikes/fixed_gear_bikes.html

I assume also, you have budgeted for a decent lock for the bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
G
Is that site trustworthy?

Are there any reviews for either of those bikes?

I appreciate the links, but before I part with cash I'm going to need more to go on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Google for info and reviews, do your research :smile: tbh no £200 new bike is going to be the best/lightest/most modern tech. Are there no bike shops near you that sell budget bikes. Viking are ok for the money compared to say stuff from a supermarket or Argos

Saluki

World class procrastinator
How about a Subway at £249. You get a lot of bang for your buck with a Subway. They are pretty much bomb proof.

The Decathlon Triban 500 Flatbar is pretty good too at £260

I think that you will struggle for anything new at your £200 price point so you would definitely need second hand, but if you know what you are looking at you should be ok but no guarantee or anything second hand. If a Subway or Triban has issues, there is a guarantee to fall back on.

I've looked at Pauls Cycles for you but nothing under £299 (Giant Escape, that's a seriously good bike BTW)
What about @biggs682 has he got anything suitable for you? He might be worth dropping a message to.

I used to cycle around Weston Super Mare a while back. I didn't die, the drivers seemed no more homicidal than anywhere else. I cycled in London too, still didn't die. Now I cycle around Norwich daily dodging busses, tractors and, at this time of year, Combine Harvesters, still haven't died. Cycling is as safe as you make it really. There are numpty drivers everywhere but they are the exception, rather than the rule.

Top Bottom