I want to change my front fork, need some help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

passive jay

genesis onyx 29'' cruiser. I want to replace the front folk with a springer style fork but I do not know what all the specs mean so I am having issues.

This fork says right on it that it will fit my bike with the conversion kit they sell for it, they even have a picture of it on my bike... but it is chrome and my bike is all bleck

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...---chrome.html

bike_d6e4aa3ee15394da14d63215d2174aafa10f57f4.png

this one is the color I want, and seems to have the same stats? Would it work the same as the other one?

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...k---black.html

Can I use that?

Here is my bike so far

4744642_n_94b0feab5de31dad88a85972648f83c2f85f9b1b.jpg

ixsaqnaq7_05081c8c67a8995d8858543f0d95698814de69e3.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess you're in the States. Were mostly Brits on here but we do have a few US members.
@Gravity Aided @Zipp2001 or @kayakerles might like to comment.
IF the steerer is the correct size you should be okay.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The thing looks a death trap to me, but if you want to go ahead the black looks identical to the silver, but you may need the headset conversion kit too. I cannot see if you bike is 1” already or if the fork comes with the connecting bar to the steerer tube.

z840559-bicycle-headset-conversion-kit.jpg

If you fork is 1 1/8. then as well as the kit you would need a different stem and bars.

P.S. I prefer the silver as it stands out against the black.

DRM

Guru
The thing looks a death trap to me, but if you want to go ahead the black looks identical to the silver, but you may need the headset conversion kit too. I cannot see if you bike is 1” already or if the fork comes with the connecting bar to the steerer tube.

View attachment 605925
If you fork is 1 1/8. then as well as the kit you would need a different stem and bars.

Got to agree, it looks like an accident waiting to happen.

D

Deleted member 1258

genesis onyx 29'' cruiser. I want to replace the front folk with a springer style fork but I do not know what all the specs mean so I am having issues.

This fork says right on it that it will fit my bike with the conversion kit they sell for it, they even have a picture of it on my bike... but it is chrome and my bike is all bleck

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...---chrome.html

View attachment 605921

this one is the color I want, and seems to have the same stats? Would it work the same as the other one?

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...k---black.html

Can I use that?

Here is my bike so far

View attachment 605922
View attachment 605923

The original, without the springer forks looks like it'd make a great run a bout, the springer fork just looks over complicated.

OP
OP
P

passive jay

View attachment 605925

death trap? what do you mean?

OP
OP
P

passive jay

The original, without the springer forks looks like it'd make a great run a bout, the springer fork just looks over complicated.

It is a good bike. Springer fork would be 90% about looks. I ride this thing on sidewalks when I can and residential streets if not so suspension was not really my primary goal, i want it for the retro look.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This is the reason I would not be happy to ride it

1629973827328.png

Look how the tubes have been compressed, but worst of all look at the nut and bolt arrangements keeping the whole thing together. I assume the front brake has to be removed too.

Top Bottom