I wanted to show you guys my new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @ColinJ said try a longer seatpost, your legs must be bent at the mo which can be very tiring on the knees. Your leg should be straight more or less when seated with the pedal at six o clock but I guess you don't go very far. I should stick with those bars, I can remember using ape hangers on motorbikes and you soon tire of them.
I see a fair few cruisers like that down here and some have three speed hubs, even thought about getting one, maybe I will one day.

OP
OP
P

passive jay

As @ColinJ said try a longer seatpost, your legs must be bent at the mo which can be very tiring on the knees. Your leg should be straight more or less when seated with the pedal at six o clock but I guess you don't go very far. I should stick with those bars, I can remember using ape hangers on motorbikes and you soon tire of them.
I see a fair few cruisers like that down here and some have three speed hubs, even thought about getting one, maybe I will one day.

I have a motorized bike that is built off the same frame. It fit me so well that I went out and bought the bike it was based on. It has ape hangers so that is why I thought they might suit the bike but I suspect that it would not be a good grip for pedaling.

183184405_10224601117842620_1086290465373514145_n (1).jpg

OP
OP
P

passive jay

Over in the UK that would be treated as a motorbike and you'd need a license and insurance. What's the position in the US?

it does not have a large enough motor to require one here in the United States, but I am kind of limited on where I can ride it as it is not allowed on most trails and technically I should not have it on the sidewalk despite normal bikes being allowed.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you can even get more than a 2 speed with a kickback hub.
The saddle is as high as I can get it on that bike.
The bike is just for cruising around the neighborhood, i have only put a few miles on it so far but the handlebars seem ok. I considered getting ape hanger handlebars but figured I would try the stock ones for a while and see if they are ok.
Shi**no make coaster versions of their 3 speed hub and I've seen 4 and 7 speed Shi**no hubs. SRAM don't make hubs any more unfortunately, but when they did they churned out 3, 7 and 9 speed coaster hubs. I'm running a SRAM 2 speed Automatix hub on my cruiser which is brill.

OP
OP
P

passive jay

Very nice. Only a 2 speed hub?
That saddle looks a bit low if you're 6'7. I can't imagine those bars would be comfortable for any length of time but I guess it's not meant for longer journeys or speed.
We don't really have an equivalent bike in the UK unless you count three speed town bikes.
I've got a Schwinn Traveler from the early nineties which I love but is very different to that. How it got down here I'll never know.
I missed the "dont have an equivalent bike in the UK" part earlier. I had no clue beach cruiser style bikes were a United States thing.

OP
OP
P

passive jay

A friend of mine has built something similar out of an old hardtail mountain bike.

Neat!

So do you guys have any bike styles over there that are not really seen in the United States? If you have not guessed I know nothing about bikes and this is the first regular bike that I have owned since I was 11. I bought a tricycle a few years ago and got the motorized bike about 2 months ago but this is my first normal bike.

Top Bottom