"I was knocked over by a cyclist" complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think there is a massive difference between a sensible cyclist who feels obliged to use the pavement occasionally - for example when pulling a trailer and child - who then does so slowly and safely with respect for other pavement users and the idiots who hurtle along with no thought for anyone.
I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere but haven't found it yet.
A couple of weeks ago a pair of students deliberately - and loudly - obstructed my path when I was pushing my bike on the pavement. No idea what they thought they were achieving.

I think there is a massive difference between a sensible cyclist who feels obliged to use the pavement occasionally - for example when pulling a trailer and child - who then does so slowly and safely with respect for other pavement users and the idiots who hurtle along with no thought for anyone.

This ^.

There seems to be a attitude in some people - which seems particularly prevalent in this country I'm afraid to say. And it doesn't matter whether they are in a car or on a bicycle. Some people just don't give a fark.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Such as what ? Because your too scared of the road at some big road junction ? Fine I can understand that, I'm no highway hero, hop off and walk round it then ride on. You are going into your drive ? Fine get off and push across the 1.5 mtrs of pavement to your gate. If a grown adult can ride [and I do mean ride] on the pavement then we may as well say it's ok to park on it or drive your car on it or ride your horse down it.

Are you suggesting that motorists should get out and push when driving into their drives?

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
My friend was taken out while crossing the road at a green man. He wasn't even the first of the waiting pedestrians to step into the road. He wasn't seriously injured, but very dazed, couldn't get up, and must have been slightly confused because he asked the rider if he was ok. The bike was knackered and the cyclist cleared off. No one called the police, which I strongly think they should have.

One of my other friends straight armed a pedestrian who stepped out in front of him without looking. I don't think the pedestrian would do that again

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Some humans are peanuts. Some humans ride bikes, therefore some bike riding humans are peanuts.

that generally sums up the worst offenders and then you have the additional range of people that are just a bit careless, over estimate their own ability or just don't think things through. All of these things are open to being dealt with by education, training and, in worst case scenarios, existing laws. None of this requires some sort of draconian new law trying to be a catch all.

If I'm honest I'd much rather all the peanuts were on bikes rather than a lot of them in cars. A bike just doesn't represent the same level of risk to others.

PK99

Legendary Member
My friend was taken out while crossing the road at a green man. He wasn't even the first of the waiting pedestrians to step into the road. He wasn't seriously injured, but very dazed, couldn't get up, and must have been slightly confused because he asked the rider if he was ok. The bike was knackered and the cyclist cleared off. No one called the police, which I strongly think they should have.
n

Which is why the statistics quoted of cyclist pedestrian collisions are of no value but oft quoted.

Davidc

Guru
That's too black and white. There might be legitimate reasons why someone is cycling on a pavement.
Don't agree. Cyclists should be on the road.

I've been cycling a long time and haven't found any reason to cycle on a pavement since I passed my cycling proficiency over 50 years ago. And don't suggest that it was safer on our roads in the past. It wasn't, they're safer now.

I try to avoid shared use paths where there's a road alternative. Why? It's safer on the road where drivers are much less of a hazard to me than are pedestrians on the paths.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I suspect many of those pedestrians that complain about "nearly being knocked over by a bleeding cyclist" have just stepped off the kerb without looking.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Earlier this year I saw a man on a mountain bike crash right into an elderly gent on the pavement, then ride off as if nothing had happened. So yeah, I'm afraid it does happen.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Are you suggesting that motorists should get out and push when driving into their drives?
As for driving into your house:
HC

You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.

Your question was answered before you asked it:wacko:. Spooky eh?

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Your question was answered before you asked it:wacko:. Spooky eh?

No it wasn't. I asked side valve if he pushed his car over the footpath, not about the legalities of it.

But yes, I should have read the whole thread before sticking my oar in.

Top Bottom