"I was knocked over by a cyclist" complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Genuine question..has anyone done this or seen it happen?

Iv noticed on just about every newspaper/web based criticism of cyclists (this normally follows the road tax argument) there's always someone who says "I was knocked over by a cyclists" which is often followed by "he cycled off, never to bee seen again", or something similar.

It seems to me that if a cyclist knocked someone down the cyclist would probably come off worse. And if there's an accedent surly is a cyclist just peddled off then he's left the scene of an accident which is a really big deal which should surly transcend the occasional law breaking cyclist. And if not cycled off why don't we not hear about more cyclist being arrested for running people down?

Pauluk

I suspect people tend to exaggerate but it is annoying to get clipped by an ignorant cyclist when you are walking on the pavement and they come up from behind without a warning.

Happened to me yesterday. I was walking on a very wide pavement when the cyclist came from behind and clipped my elbow as he went by. There was tons of room so he either did it on purpose or he failed to judge the pass properly. I would have had a go at him but he was going too fast and was away before I could react.

As a cyclist, this got me a bit angry as its twats like that that get other cyclists a bad name.

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Had a gent clip my elbow as I was jogging the other day. Same as above had plenty of room to pass. He must have realised he clipped me but didn't even look back to acknowledge and was off before I could say anything.

Another situation a few years back I was exercising my 7 month old lab on a shared path and threw the ball into the under growth for him (he likes to seek it out) and a cyclist comes tearing and I mean tearing round the corner as my dog is emerging from the bushes and his back wheel pretty much hit him square on the face. Cyclist again just buggered off without a care in the world whilst my dog had a massive gash above his eye.

Guess my point is the cyclist wouldn't always come off the worst

subaqua

What’s the point
yes , yesterday along the towpath from Bow locks to Limehouse. on the floaty bridge. He was riding like a loon and not looking where he was going, (later discovered he had earphones in) . I saw him, braked , rang my bell furiously and was stopped at the side when he came flying round the corner staright into my front wheel.

so yes it does happen. Bearing in mind i am lit up like a christmas tree guess what the words straight out of his mouth were.

Yup "I didn't see you" !!

G2EWS

If I am on a path/byway and see other users who are going in the same direction I make every effort to make sure they hear me and will call out having slowed down. Then always thank them for either moving out of the way on a narrow path or just to be courteous. Seems the right thing to do!

Chris

Big boy

I once had a man wife and little kid walk right out in front of me, luckily i had anticipated what was about to happen.
i rang my bell and the guy shouted sorry mate, i replied ok dont worry.
Pedestrians dont like anything on wheels, my other half has to use a mobility scooter.
It has a little horn on it , but if she uses it to warn people she is there she gets the look.
She is no maniak and is polite etc but of course theres the others who want to run you over....

G2EWS

.... my other half has to use a mobility scooter.
It has a little horn on it , but if she uses it to warn people she is there she gets the look....

I believe that it is often down to the tone of the horn. Some sounds can hurt or really annoy and to be shocked by one is even worse. By changing the tone to something that is more pleasing I bet she won't 'get the look' all that often.

I guess the best example is of a shrill mobile phone ringer. If one goes off around you, you get up tight and annoyed. If it is a pleasant tune or sound you are not bothered.

Best regards

Chris

Yes, it happens.

I've leapt or stepped smartly to one side as a pedestrian to avoid pavement cyclists or skateboarders. In most of those situations, I'd have been walloped had I been infirm or elderly.

I've slammed car brakes on and missed young cyclists by inches when they've nipped off pavements without looking.

As a cyclist, I've had other riders take slightly eccentric lines, fail to indicate, swoop inexplicably and otherwise impede me or cause me to take evasive action.

I fear I may have been guilty of some of the above myself in the past. None of us attains sainthood just by pedalling along the roadway. There are some prize turnips out there on bicycles.

What the OP asks about happens, but rarely in my experience. However, a motorist or pedestrian with a bee in their bonnet might easily make a case out of these occurrences with which cyclists generally can be hounded or beaten.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sandra6

Veteran
I've had a few close passes by cyclists on pavements, I tend to be quite obstructive if I see them coming though. They shouldn't be on the pavement in the first place, and if they feel they can't cycle on the road for whatever reason they should give way to pedestrians.
Years ago my son, who was only 3 at the time, was knocked over by a young lad cycling down a temporary footpath (bridge and road works in place) very clearly signposted to prohibit cyclists. He didn't stop even when I shouted at him, so I went into the school he attended and made a complaint -but they refused to do anything about it!!
Another parent -whose child wasn't even clipped - decided to get all up in arms about it though and called the police in. The lad got a visit - and into a lot of trouble from his parents. I met him again a few days later and he gave me a heartfelt apology and I felt a little bit sorry for him in the end. I like to think he learned his lesson too.
A lot of the time I think people get overly agitated about cyclists and will claim to have been clipped or knocked by them even if they are a giving a good couple of metres space.

400bhp

Guru
I've had a few close passes by cyclists on pavements, I tend to be quite obstructive if I see them coming though. They shouldn't be on the pavement in the first place, and if they feel they can't cycle on the road for whatever reason they should give way to pedestrians.
Years ago my son, who was only 3 at the time, was knocked over by a young lad cycling down a temporary footpath (bridge and road works in place) very clearly signposted to prohibit cyclists. He didn't stop even when I shouted at him, so I went into the school he attended and made a complaint -but they refused to do anything about it!!
Another parent -whose child wasn't even clipped - decided to get all up in arms about it though and called the police in. The lad got a visit - and into a lot of trouble from his parents. I met him again a few days later and he gave me a heartfelt apology and I felt a little bit sorry for him in the end. I like to think he learned his lesson too.
A lot of the time I think people get overly agitated about cyclists and will claim to have been clipped or knocked by them even if they are a giving a good couple of metres space.

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't get agitated in my obstructive ways. I just don't get out of the way in a very calm, non-agitated way. If they care to slow down and say excuse me please, I will move. If they ride straight at me I'll stand my ground.
I'm big on having the right of way.

sidevalve

Über Member
I don't get agitated in my obstructive ways. I just don't get out of the way in a very calm, non-agitated way. If they care to slow down and say excuse me please, I will move. If they ride straight at me I'll stand my ground.
I'm big on having the right of way.
+1 An adult should not be on the pavement on a bicycle, if you can't ride on the road like the big girls and boys take a bus. Strangely, on a footpath, I believe pedestrians DO have right of way and if they don't want to "move over" then they don't have to. Too many cyclists assume that any "rules of the road" don't apply to them, {yes, sadly there are plenty} but a pavement is not a road, it is full of kids, dogs, pensioners, walkers and prams and they have every right to be there, if they choose to move fine, if not, get over it, you are in the wrong.

400bhp

Guru
+1 An adult should not be on the pavement on a bicycle, if you can't ride on the road like the big girls and boys take a bus. Strangely, on a footpath, I believe pedestrians DO have right of way and if they don't want to "move over" then they don't have to. Too many cyclists assume that any "rules of the road" don't apply to them, {yes, sadly there are plenty} but a pavement is not a road, it is full of kids, dogs, pensioners, walkers and prams and they have every right to be there, if they choose to move fine, if not, get over it, you are in the wrong.

That's too black and white. There might be legitimate reasons why someone is cycling on a pavement.

trampyjoe

That's too black and white. There might be legitimate reasons why someone is cycling on a pavement.
+1
I take the trailer on pavements frequently as there are some really crappy drivers/roads round here. When I do I slow right down to just over walking pace (unless there are people around then I just go walking pace) and get out of the way of peds etc.
As far as I'm aware you are allowed to ride on the pavement if you feel it is safer to do so, unfortunately too many people are afraid of all traffic and therefore will always ride on the pavement. Where does the fault lie, with the cyclist or the road users?
Most definitely not black and white!

sidevalve

Über Member
Such as what ? Because your too scared of the road at some big road junction ? Fine I can understand that, I'm no highway hero, hop off and walk round it then ride on. You are going into your drive ? Fine get off and push across the 1.5 mtrs of pavement to your gate. If a grown adult can ride [and I do mean ride] on the pavement then we may as well say it's ok to park on it or drive your car on it or ride your horse down it.

Top Bottom