I was offed last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Yeah, the left is a bit of a strange one. We're encouraged to cycle there by the helpful cycle lanes provided, but they put us in danger.

Filter up the middle of the road and you get abuse from motorists who don't think you should be there, and who often suddenly pull out when stuck in long tailbacks as they lose patience and attempt to turn back up the way they came.

I nearly knocked an old bloke over on Friday as I came down the cycle lane on Ferry Road outside Morrisons wher the traffic had tailed right back. He stepped out into the cycle lane from between a stationary car and van, about5 metres in front of me. I yelled and yanked on the anchors; he froze to the spot. Stopped centimetres from him. My fault entirely - failed to spot him until it was almost too late. Had he appeared between two cars, he'd have been obvious long beforehand. The height of the van meant I had no way of seeing him.

I'll be taking it very easy down there whilst the roadworks at Craighall Road are causing the massive tailbacks. I'd filter up the middle, but there's a traffic island and no room to get by at that point.

slowmotion said:
Magnatom, I could have filtered down the middle but I couldn't be sure that I wouldn't be caught between two lines of traffic going straight ahead if the lights changed. The left lane wasn't solely for left-turning traffic. (I would post a streetview shot but, alas, I have not yet learned how it insert pictures into posts.)

Ah, true. At a junction like that I would probably still filter up the middle, but I would stop a few cars back. That way when the traffic moves I could slot back in to the lane and position I want and have time to indicate and turn. Probably 4 or 5 cars back to give time, but not so far back to hold you up too much. Would that work for your junction?

I'd be hesitant to filter up the left, where there is a left turn at the junction, even if I was turning left as well. You never know how tight a car might turn, as you come up the left.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
slowmotion said:
(I would post a streetview shot but, alas, I have not yet learned how it insert pictures into posts.)

1. Get the Streetview that you want
  2. Click on the "Link" button in Streetview.
  3. Copy the link address from the "Paste link in email or IM" bit
  4. In a post, type in some short text for the link (e.g. site of incident)
  5. Highlight the text
  6. Click on the Insert link button
    createlink.gif
  7. Paste in the link address into the box and click OK
  8. Voila!
You then get this:

Approaching Tower Bridge

Hope this helps :rofl:

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
It's a tricky one isn't it - this is how I came off a couple of years ago - passenger decided to get out when I was on the left to get up to the ASL.

In my case the road layout is such that the side I was on is wider and there is loads of room on the left - on the right hand side I think that you would struggle to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic.

Do I still do it after being knocked off?

Occasionally yes. It depends on the situation - if there are about 30/40 cars in a row all waiting stationary at the lights then I will do it because it can be 4/5 light changes before you get to the front. I am v.v.cautious though and keep an eye out for doors opening.

Having said that I was being careful and keeping an eye out when I got knocked off and even had time to swerve out of the way...

...unfortuantely it only took a little clip from their car door on my handlebars for me to fall into the kerb and shatter the knuckle on my little finger enough to warrent two lots of surgery and some metalwork.

...so no advice really - just sympathy!!!

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Martok said:
  1. Get the Streetview that you want
  2. Click on the "Link" button in Streetview.
  3. Copy the link address from the "Paste link in email or IM" bit
  4. In a post, type in some short text for the link (e.g. site of incident)
  5. Highlight the text
  6. Click on the Insert link button
    createlink.gif
  7. Paste in the link address into the box and click OK
  8. Voila!
You then get this:

Approaching Tower Bridge

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks Martok. I'll give it a go shortly.

slowmotion said:
The Junction

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA

Aye,

I'd aim to stop a few cars back from the junction (after filtering down the middle). Should work fine there. Of course if there are only 5 or 6 cars waiting, you are just as well to stop at the back. IMO.;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
slowmotion said:
The Junction

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA

See, you know you could.

HINT...next time you post a link and are not sure it will work...hit "preview reply" and the link will be active in the preview

Learnt this after many failed attempts myself.

PS, back to the thread, I dislike filtering on the left but do it all the same...all the time.

most people do as its where the stupid cycle lanes take us all the time!!??;)

I think 5mph was plenty slow enough (perhaps Arch was a little too hard on you there?)

Driver learnt a good lesson methinks, no serious harm done and clearly full of remorse (plus a small dent to make his memory stick)

Top Bottom