I was taken out this morning..

rsvdaz

New Member
Location
Devon
by a left hooker!!:o)

I was in a cycle lane on a primary road..coming upto a junction with lights for a left turn into a secondary road..kept back and checked the cars that were indicating to turn left..the first two were.
lights changed and off I went..upto about 19mph and staying back of the first two cars..only then the third car decides to turn left!!..I had no where to go apart into the side of her car..I was also clipped in..I screamed out but went down like a sack of spuds!!
she dragged me down the road for a bit..very grazed arse with a hole in the shorts..bike has the bar tape has disintigrated on the rhs..and the bar end has popped out..need to bent the ends back to get it back in..slightly closed..oh and the seat went out of alinement.

dunno if it was shock on my part..but i just got up and a little go at here for not using her mirror..and signalling very late and rode off!!
 

dondare

Über Member
Location
London
Yes, that sounds like shock.
 

Jezston

Über Member
Location
London
Hope you are ok, but ... you just rode off? Very bad move. If your bike needs work done, you won't be able to claim.
 
Easier said than done. You had every right to be upset but you probably should of stayed and got her details. Hind sight is a wonderfull thing, I'm glad you were able to cycle off.

Another hind sight, it is often better to ignore a cycle lane when you are at a junction and take up the centre of the lane.
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
I feel for you, this is essentially what happened to me the 1st time I got knocked off. It is a shock, hope you are okay. Glad you were able to walk/ride away.

Next time try to keep calm and get their details, even if you dont initially intend to follow up, just incase you get home and realise you are hurt worse than expected (very possible due to the adrenaline at point of collision) or bike is more damaged than thought on initial inspection.
 
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

New Member
Location
Devon
yeah..I know i should have gotten her details..and I think it was shock...she was a young lass and had a baby in a car seat in the car..she was very appologetic and did offer to take me to A&E lol...but i did start to feel sorry for her after my ranting..and i'm guessing shes probably more shocked than me now..just hope the experience for her makes her a more aware and better driver..lol take a look at my sig..and i was wearing a red cycling jersey...couldnt have been hard to miss me if she did decide to check her mirrors!
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
rsvdaz said:
yeah..I know i should have gotten her details..and I think it was shock...she was a young lass and had a baby in a car seat in the car..she was very appologetic and did offer to take me to A&E lol...but i did start to feel sorry for her after my ranting..and i'm guessing shes probably more shocked than me now..just hope the experience for her makes her a more aware and better driver..lol take a look at my sig..and i was wearing a red cycling jersey...couldnt have been hard to miss me if she did decide to check her mirrors!
Well if you didnt get details hopefully you left your mark up her side doors to remind her to keep her eyes open and check her mirrors. When this happened to me, the guys doors were a mess (I tried to turn into the corner alongside him to take the edge of it and hence hit both passenger side doors and not just plowwed one of them).

Its one of those unlucky moments, at least she offered to sort you out. She could have offered insurance details like.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
All I am going to say is you should really have got her details, just in case. Shock plays a big part in this. Hope everything is OK and you are not too badly knocked about.

If there is a next time, do get the details. I was on here 18 months ago, after an accident, not really wanting to take it further as I was generally OK, bit banged up. Glad I did as I now have a buggered shoulder that is going to be permanent (had results of latest MRI last night). So you never know....

Glad it's not too bad and stuff can be replaced/fixed.
 
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

New Member
Location
Devon
lol..yes..scratches in rear panel from my pedals and black scuffs on passenger door from the handle bars....no dents though...i think it was because i must have taken a reasonable amount of evasive action and went down pretty quick..just pondering the thought of what would have happened if her rear wheel went over me though!!
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
rsvdaz said:
lol..yes..scratches in rear panel from my pedals and black scuffs on passenger door from the handle bars....no dents though...i think it was because i must have taken a reasonable amount of evasive action and went down pretty quick..just pondering the thought of what would have happened if her rear wheel went over me though!!
No point pondering what if's! It wont help and will only make you more nervous about getting back out there.
 

Coco

Well-Known Member
Location
Glasgow
rsvdaz said:
..just pondering the thought of what would have happened if her rear wheel went over me though!!
Well, getting back to your sig...:biggrin:

Isn't it offence to hit someone and not report it? Although if she doesn't report it...:biggrin:
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
Coco said:
Well, getting back to your sig...:biggrin:

Isn't it offence to hit someone and not report it? Although if she doesn't report it...:biggrin:
Yes, you should report the incident. Both parties should within 24 hours I think. There is some sort of clause, involving damage or injury to though. But in this case it should be reported. No further action needs to be taken.
 
Top Bottom