I was taken out this morning..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Let's be frank though, if you were in a cycle lane and the driver left hooked you, they are entirely at fault. What's been talked about here is about your defensive riding, not putting blame on you.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

BentMikey said:
Let's be frank though, if you were in a cycle lane and the driver left hooked you, they are entirely at fault. What's been talked about here is about your defensive riding, not putting blame on you.

cheers Mikey..I was beginning to wonder :smile:

AnotherEye

BentMikey said:
Agreed, & well put.

dondare

Über Member
I put the blame on cycle-lanes, and those who promulgate them.

And drivers of course.

Britains roads were designed in the days before cars, when Britain was less crowded, most journeys were made on foot and nothing on the roads could move faster than a horse.
Such roads are suitable for bikes and bikes can be used safely on them. They are generally unsuitable for motor-vehicles and motor-vehicles cannot be used safely on them. Attempting a partial segregation of different traffic types doesn't change this.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:

The cylce lane ends a few meters before the left turn. However, the point still stands:

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

Norm

BentMikey said:
Whilst it might be true in legal terms, it won't mend the shorts or stop them getting trashed, or worse, if it happens again.

I wouldn't want my gravestone to read "HC. s182", especially if I had been riding up the inside approaching a junction. That's an easy accident to avoid, IMO.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
dondare said:
Britains roads were designed in the days before cars...
....Such roads are suitable for bikes and bikes can be used safely on them. They are generally unsuitable for motor-vehicles and motor-vehicles cannot be used safely on them. Attempting a partial segregation of different traffic types doesn't change this.
Sorry but that's cobblers. Motor vehicles can be used perfectly safely on them, and for the most part, they are. It's bad drivers that cause the problems - or bad driving - not motor vehicles per se.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Norm said:
Whilst it might be true in legal terms, it won't mend the shorts or stop them getting trashed, or worse, if it happens again.

I wouldn't want my gravestone to read "HC. s182", especially if I had been riding up the inside approaching a junction. That's an easy accident to avoid, IMO.

Was that not my point?

Norm

I wasn't sure what your point was, BM, as I think it was open to misunderstanding.

By saying the driver was entirely at fault and no-one was blaming the OP, that could be interpreted as saying "carry on doing what you are doing".

I was just emphasising that there were actions that cyclists could take to avoid being in that situation, regardless of which way a court or coroner would find blame.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, I think it was fairly clear that we were commenting on the quality of the OP's defensive riding, but not on his fault as there was none.

OP held back for two cars who were clearly turning but got taken out by a myopic third, sound like he was riding well and observing other road users but got taken out by someone who was obviously far less observant and skilled. Nuff said.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

as well as a cyclist I am a car driver of 22 years and a full licence motorcyclist for the last 10...as a motorcyclist..you become a much better car driver and more self aware of what is around you..the woman who knocked me off was entirely at fault....mirror signal manouvre I think the saying goes....she manouvred and signalled at the same time..the first two cars made their intentions clear whilst sat waiting for the lights to change..that said the cycle lane does give one the sense of a "safe zone" between you and motor vehicles..so dont worry I have learnt my lesson..its not so much..expect the worse it MAY happen...more like expect the worse IT WILL happen

I manged to cycle home yesterday evening...but this morning i'm a tad sore all over!

dondare

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']Sorry but that's cobblers. Motor vehicles can be used perfectly safely on them, and for the most part, they are. It's bad drivers that cause the problems - or bad driving - not motor vehicles per se.[/QUOTE]

The same drivers use motoways - the only roads designed exclusively for motor traffic - and carriageways originally laid down in a pre-car age.
On motorways they have a much lower accident rate.

A great many features of Britains roads make them unsuitable for fast, powerful vehicles. Would there be 3000 deaths per year if we went back to nothing moving faster than a horse?

dondare

Über Member
Coco said:
Ambulances too? :tongue:

Ambulance drivers are better trained and more accountable than your average "I pay road tax and you were in my way" motorist.

Cars give ordinary people too much power and "Road Tax" gives them a sense of entitlement.

Top Bottom