I weighed my bike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
A pinch over 10kg by the average of the bathroom scales method :biggrin:

I shouldn't have done it. I've managed with it for just over 4 years - I'm now convinced that I really do need a new bike. I keep going on about it but the force is strong this time!

Wish the online dealers/lbs would slash the 07 prices a bit more xx(

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
would it be cheaper to save weight by slimming down the rider? (i certainly speak for myself btw)

Melvil

I weighed (or rather my LBS weighed) my bike which I bought second-hand. It was pretty much the same weight as yours - a hair over 10k. I have to say, though, that it 'feels' light - and I don't know why that is!

Like you also, I am tempted by some of the new bikes out there - even a bargain basement focus which I could swap the wheels out for some nice ones....

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
would it be cheaper to save weight by slimming down the rider? (i certainly speak for myself btw)

Wind your neck in :biggrin:

I was over 93 kg in May, down to a shade under 86kg at the moment. Still I should be able to get down under 80kg - got the Uni timetable on my side over the winter so should (will) manage to commute twice a week. I know twice a week doesn't sound much but it's a 60+ mile round trip.

Keith Oates

Janner
Some would argue that a fixie must be the best bike;)
A 60 mile round trip commute is good going even on only 2 days a week, should make the fitness increase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Phoebus

Mine got weighed yesterday:
I was cycling through Kingsbury Water Park, I got to about a dozen road workers who had most of the path dug up.
I asked the bloke in the mini-digger if it was OK to pass them?
"Carry on, go ahead" he said, and then asked "Is that bike really light?"
"about nineteen pounds" I replied.
He then jumped out of the digger and asked "let's feel how light it is?" Ooooer!
He then picked the bike up, shouted to the other workers "C'mon here and feel this bike" everyone downed tools and took turns to covert the bike.
One even asked me "are you a professional racer?" :biggrin::eek:xx(:biggrin::biggrin::ohmy::tongue::becool:

PrettyboyTim

I dread to think what my bike weighs, especially when it's got my panniers on. It's not very light at the best of times. (It's a Claud Butler Urban 100, pretty cheap)

Worst time is when I've got the cheap eBay child trailer attached, which weighs in at around 19kg. Add a 15kg child and try the pull the lot up hill... :biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
PrettyboyTim said:
I dread to think what my bike weighs, especially when it's got my panniers on. It's not very light at the best of times. (It's a Claud Butler Urban 100, pretty cheap)

Worst time is when I've got the cheap eBay child trailer attached, which weighs in at around 19kg. Add a 15kg child and try the pull the lot up hill... :biggrin:
I've also got a CB (XC Sport) pretty much an urban. I thought it was quite light until a bloke came to work on his new road bike. Virtually total carbon, you could pick it up with one finger (cost him £3000 though). I tell you, you could have walked round with it strapped to your back all day and you wouldn't (virtually) have known it was there !

Melvil

Elmer Fudd said:
I've also got a CB (XC Sport) pretty much an urban. I thought it was quite light until a bloke came to work on his new road bike. Virtually total carbon, you could pick it up with one finger (cost him £3000 though). I tell you, you could have walked round with it strapped to your back all day and you wouldn't (virtually) have known it was there !

It's not what you've got but what you do with it that counts...or so I keep telling myself!

Top Bottom