I went, I saw, I bought!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Oops, I did it again. I went to look at a rather nice low recumbent today (Optima Baron) and felt compelled to buy it. My reasoning (in other words, what I tell the Missus) is that recumbents really hold on to their values, and as I got this for a great price, I could ride it for a year and not make a loss. I also told her that one way or the other, I will sell either the high racer Bacchetta Strada, or this Optima I've acquired today. First impressions of my new commuter tool, is that it'll be the Strada that goes!

I've Just got the rear fairing nicely fitted. It took a bit of faffing as it was catching on the rear tyre when pushing back on the seat whilst pedalling hard. It was easier to just raise the seat an inch and a half (a bit of wood as a temporary fix 'till I can fabricate something at work) rather than try and make the fairing clear the tyre. Anyway, she's all ready for the commute today. Maybe I'll beat the 32 mins record I set on the Strada on this beast. The rear fairing should hopefully add 5mph to my top speed.

Have a butchaz at this.

S1051557.jpg

S1051560.jpg

S1051561.jpg

S1051558.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Me likey likey !
So whens the wife taking a hack saw to your collection before she packs her bags pleading destitution ?:whistle:

wisdom

Guru
Very nice indeed.
It looks like you can use cleats if you do how do you get out and put a leg down its hard enoug on a "normal"bike

What are you like ! well and truely bitten by the recumbent bug, no looking back now, only to look at them roadies you have overtaken lol

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Very nice indeed.
It looks like you can use cleats if you do how do you get out and put a leg down its hard enoug on a "normal"bike

I use flat/spds on the 2 wheelers, but just spds on the trike as you never need to unclip on that one. I've just become used to un-clipping when I may have to stop. My ultra exciting youtube clip shows just how easy it is.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEY05i4TTs

very nice , you could always send 1 of them my way if you want rid of 1

I'll be giving the Strada a bloomin good clean, and banging it on the forums next weekend. If I get no joy, it'll go on ebay.

Me likey likey !
So whens the wife taking a hack saw to your collection before she packs her bags pleading destitution ?:whistle:
No worries there, I've finally relented and agreed to go to Florida next year, after years of badgering from the Missus. I have scored so many brownie points, they're coming out of my ears.:angel:

I know I was warned, but that's 59 seconds of my life I'm not getting back :-)

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Very nice.

Question: those side panniers that you've got are those Radical 'banana' bags?

Close, they're Radical Allfa Side Pods. I bought them from Bikefix, around 90 quid I think. I like them 'cos they're a 30 second doddle to swap between my bikes, and they hold my work clothes, lunch, waterproofs etc.

Hector

Close, they're Radical Allfa Side Pods. I bought them from Bikefix, around 90 quid I think. I like them 'cos they're a 30 second doddle to swap between my bikes, and they hold my work clothes, lunch, waterproofs etc.

Cheers for that, am thinking of getting some as I think it will easier to access them for drink, food etc on the move rather then the Aerobag which I've currently got.

You're right with respect to Barons holding thier value. The ultimate low racer whose design has only been modified twice since the early 90's. And one of those was for the newish Elite.

Enjoy your ride.

I use flat/spds on the 2 wheelers, but just spds on the trike as you never need to unclip on that one. I've just become used to un-clipping when I may have to stop. My ultra exciting youtube clip shows just how easy it is.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEY05i4TTs

I'll be giving the Strada a bloomin good clean, and banging it on the forums next weekend. If I get no joy, it'll go on ebay.

No worries there, I've finally relented and agreed to go to Florida next year, after years of badgering from the Missus. I have scored so many brownie points, they're coming out of my ears.:angel:

Forget the topic - Always loved that music!!

Top Bottom