I will never drive a Vauxhall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I wouldn’t either, but this would be my exception......

https://goo.gl/images/xuQiav

midlife

Guru
Had one of these in red......and then a mk 2. Happy days lol

Vauxhall%20Astra%20GTE%20(14).jpg

I’ve always avoided Vauxhall’s as I find them to be generally bland and ugly.

However, I did hire a newish Astra to get me and the bike home from Inverness after LEJOG.

I was totally amazed at how nice it was to drive.

:eek:

Graham

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had 2 commercial Vauxhalls Midi van and a Brava pick up
They were both superb reliability wise.

Never had a Vauxhall car.
My Dad had a VX490 and a Cresta, both were pears but nice, i loved the VX.
i nearly bought a cavalier sri in 87 but got a VW Jetta instead,better drive.

gbb

Legendary Member
VX490 there's a blast from the past, my dad had one...and a Velox.
The VW vs VX thing above shows how different folk have different expectations. A VW is undoubtedly a better car...but it's price tag reflects that. I love VXs, comfortable, laid back, even the gearbox ratios are relaxed, no shifting every few seconds...i once drove a brand new Golf Driver in maybe the 90s and found it tractor like, heavy on the controls...hated it.
No doubt VXs are moderately uninspiring, my current Astra J is comfy, not as economical as my former H, not particually spritely...in fact not at all really :tongue: where the H 1.6 sportback was.
Vectras, Cavs, Astras, I had em all, no nonsense, modestly uninspiring but cheap and reasonably economical, reliable cars IME.

They'll disappear in a few years in all probability...we won t have anything to moan about, what's the world coming to. :rolleyes:

Levo-Lon

Guru
VX490 there's a blast from the past, my dad had one...and a Velox.
The VW vs VX thing above shows how different folk have different expectations. A VW is undoubtedly a better car...but it's price tag reflects that. I love VXs, comfortable, laid back, even the gearbox ratios are relaxed, no shifting every few seconds...i once drove a brand new Golf Driver in maybe the 90s and found it tractor like, heavy on the controls...hated it.
No doubt VXs are moderately uninspiring, my current Astra J is comfy, not as economical as my former H, not particually spritely...in fact not at all really :tongue: where the H 1.6 sportback was.
Vectras, Cavs, Astras, I had em all, no nonsense, modestly uninspiring but cheap and reasonably economical, reliable cars IME.

They'll disappear in a few years in all probability...we won t have anything to moan about, what's the world coming to. :rolleyes:

Nice gearboxes, the Jetta TX i had had a very close box for the time,i loved that.
Mate had the later Astra GTE 150 bhp ,mad as a box of frogs,really good fun car.
Torque steer R us :laugh:

Top Bottom